Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1992 Dual Fuel Tank Problems

My brother has a 1992 f150 with dual tanks. He currenty runs on the front tank. when he switches to the rear tank the truck starves and shuts off. dont know if it means anything but the fuel guage for the front tank always shows empty, when we switch to the rear tank the guage jumps up to almost full. Trying to get the rear tank running and guage fixed on front so i dont have to keep helping him out when he runs out of fuel :hammer: Thanks guys!!

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I dare say you need to replace the fuel pump and sending unit as a complete unit......but before you go doing that, verify you're getting power to the sending unit plug first.

My 89 had similar problems, I haven't tackled them yet, but I've been told the valve that controls which tank it is running on needs to be replaced.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
My 89 had similar problems, I haven't tackled them yet, but I've been told the valve that controls which tank it is running on needs to be replaced.

89 is different set up. both are same idea. the 89 has a "lift" pump in each tank. it's purpose is to supply the high pressure pump in the rail with fuel. it has a can with a flapper, so to speak that allows the return fuel to go back to whatever tank it came from. if you have a dead tank, the lift pump is probably shot. the 92 and newer has only a high pressure pump in each tank. with a check valve in the return line. what ever tank is switched on, the other check valve on the other tank causes the fuel to return to the tank it came from.if you have a dead tank, the pump is shot. both styles can have the gauge assembly removed and replaced on the new pump, or you can buy the pump complete with the gauge unit on it. it is highly recommended to change the screen and fuel filter when replacing pumps.

Ford Truck Articles