Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

The plot thickens

I bought a 1950 F2 a while back and have been restoring it. I've had nothing but troubles finding a tailgate for it. All of the tailgates for this truck seemed to be too small. The person I bought it from said it had an express bed? which is supposed to be bigger. The guys at NPD (national parts depot) Think I have the wrong bed on the truck and believe its and F3 bed. Who knows. So I go to the vin that's on the title and its for a 1950 6cyl 1/2 ton which doesn't seem to match this big ol truck. I saw through a search that there is sometimes a vin stamped on the frame up front. Does this apply to the 1950 f series like mine? Or are there any other place I could look to try and decipher this hodgepodge of a monstrosity that is my awesome F2?

Thanks for any info and help. I'll post a pic as soon as I figure out this whole computer thingYelloThumbUp

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Tim(mtflat) is the expert on these. According to Mac's Antique Auto Parts, the GVW rating doesn't matter. What does matter is whether the tailgate latch is at the top of the roll, 48-50, or below the roll( 50-52).

Beautiful truck!

Last edited:

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Very nice truck!

The F2 and F3 have the same bed. It measures 54"W x 96"L and takes a 54" x 21" tailgate that is very hard to find, only OEM exists as far as I know.

F1 box is smaller and measures 49"W x 66"L and takes a 49" x 19" tailgate. These are available from several vendors as new replacements.

Yes, the frame has a stamped number in the top frame rail in the area around the right motor mount brace. For a 50 F2 the prefix will be 98RD or 97HD followed by six digits. The stampings are shallow so rub around there with steel wool and shine a light source at an angle to make them pop.

If your title says 97HC, then it IS for a half-ton.

If you post your vin or send it to me by private msg I can decipher what you have. It's pretty safe to post here - I have never heard of anyone having trouble from making their vin public. If you look, my 5 truck vins are posted out there in cyberspace.

Also look at your firewall/cowl area for a build code that is stamped right into the sheetmetal. I'll be glad to help sort thru it with you. - Tim

Last edited:
You guys are pajamas for cats! Knees of bees even.

The VIN on the title is 97hc293743

I have done the VIN decoder shenanigans before. My other issue is the truck itself doesn't have a vin plate. I'm going to search the frame for the vin. Gonna have to take some of the paint off. Hopefully not.YelloThumbUp

I'll take a look at the firewall too. Thanks for the heads up!

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Your title clearly came from a half-ton 6 cyl as you said. The only one considered legal is the frame vin because everything else can be duplicated.

It's not hard to figure what you have - the F1 has a wheelbase of 114" and the F2/3 is 122".

I've heard there was an express bed that was 9' or 108" but from what I've seen in the material, it was the F250/350's after 1953

Glad to be of help!

Ford Truck Articles