Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

7500 mi progress report, '16 Transit 350 15 pass

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Hard to believe the service van is already in for it's first oil change. If you recall, it was delivered during the Christmas Holidays but sat for months waiting for parts on a recall. Since then, it's logging about 2500 miles/mo. Those aren't normal miles- it normally runs with 10-12 passengers, rarely gets more than 10 miles way from home base, and gets exactly zero consideration from the hired help as far as "taking care of the equipment." A few observations:

1. Compared to the Chevy Express it replaced, the Transit makes the Chebbie look and feel like a covered wagon by comparison. Bluntly put- there is no comparison- build quality, ride, handling, comfort- the Transit is at an entirely different level. A more legit comparison, I think, would be with a Mercedes Sprinter (we have none in the field).

2. The Transit's 3.7 V6 is no ball of fire, but it has logged 14.3 mpg average- about 40% better than the Express on it's best day. If I were ordering the truck, an eco-boost would be a must-have item.

3. Tons of thoughtful little touches- like little rubber bumpers where doors could hit bodywork. No fuel tank lock necessary- open the driver's door, you have access to the fuel filler door. A backup camera that's actually useful. Seats that don't require passengers to be gymnasts to get into the rear seat rows.

Complaints? Only a couple. I wish Ford would rethink the Navigation system- it's hard to see, and even harder to use. Nothing intuitive about it. And the sound system is barely on par with a Fiesta. I know- it's a commercial vehicle... but still, it ain't a cheap one.

I'm curious to see how the interior pieces hold up over the miles. After 100,000 miles, the Express interior was literally falling apart. Plastic pieces held with plastic clips have no place in a commercial vehicle. Chevy looks like they contracted Lego to do the interior.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
..... And the sound system is barely on par with a Fiesta. I know- it's a commercial vehicle... but still, it ain't a cheap one....

I haven't figured out why every vehicle doesn't (at the least) have some quality speakers that hit high-mid-low range. It doesn't have to have a subwoofer but the paper cone filters vs. the quality ones aren't much price difference. Increase the cost of the vehicle $50, who cares!

Ryan

I thought about trying to talk the boss into getting one of these for service work, so this thread may come in handy for a selling point.

We have a Chebby now with the side open doors, but the sliding door seems to have a bigger opening and you don't have doors to get in the way or close on you while your in there.

Definitely agreed on the upgraded sound system, I can't stand trying to jam out on paper speakers pushing a whopping 15 watts each.

Last edited:

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I thought about trying to talk the boss into getting one of these for service work, so this thread may come in handy for a selling point.

We have a Chebby now with the side open doors, but the sliding door seems to have a bigger opening and you don't have doors to get in the way or close on you while your in there.

Definitely agreed on the upgraded sound system, I can't stand trying to jam out on paper speakers pushing a whopping 15 watts each.

Then you're familiar with how the forward half of the opening door is constantly banging against the passenger door- if there are peeps trying to get in/out of both doors at the same time. Incredibly lame design. Even more incredible- it's over 17 yrs old, and they still haven't fixed it.

Then you're familiar with how the forward half of the opening door is constantly banging against the passenger door- if there are peeps trying to get in/out of both doors at the same time. Incredibly lame design. Even more incredible- it's over 17 yrs old, and they still haven't fixed it.
Yes, very familiar. Also how the rear half never seems to want to stay open while you're trying to dig stuff out. I believe that the only reason we have it was because he got a smokin deal on it, the rest of the fleet consists of F-150s and Frontiers.

My current work truck is a single cab LWB with the 5.0L and I freakin love that engine, effortless acceleration.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Did the computer tell you to do the oil change?...I looked in my owner manual and it says I will be told when to change it. 10000 miles now.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
20160904_065357_zpsrpqft6ft.jpg

Just getting ready for work this morning. We're going to have to move about 600 cars in the next two days. Yee haw.

What's that doohickey below and to the left of the tail lamp?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What's that doohickey below and to the left of the tail lamp?

A magnet to hold the rear door open :D

Rear doors have a 2 stage opening....normally 90 degrees then almost 180 along the vehicle.

Works damn good in the wind.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Any time I flew in to LAX I'd get the least sexy vehicles available. Anywhere else in the country, I'm getting Lincolns, Suburbans, a Mercedes or two...but not LAX. I ended up with more than one transit utility van when I showed up. No windows either, rape van to the max. 2nd or third time, folks at my office decided it would be hilarious to put a magnetic 'Free Candy' sign with my face on it on the passenger side door, where I'd never see it. Never had any complaints about the transit, outside of it being worse than a minivan.

Ford Truck Articles