Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Instrument Cluster Back

Well I finally started working today on my cluster back. Had quite a time removing old one. It mostly busted and I had some trouble removing gauges, re-attaching gauges, hard to get speedometer cable pulled as well. Right now I painted the gauge needles with some day-glo orange paint and have re-attached the cluster back to the panel. Right now I need another socket...already have bulbs from another project. My gauges have only worked properly occasionally. I thought I saw online that there is a regulator for them but I cannot seem to locate it. Also speedometer maybe worked for a while(I can;t really remember because I rarely use the truck)but does not work now. I located it under the truck and I think it could be a gear located under truck and not the cable itself. I may try to check it but usually when I take a wrench to something bad things happen. Is it hard to remove the gear and can you buy just the gear or do I need a whole new cable. I am a little excited to get this project finished but I am ready to be disappointed in case replacing the cluster back doesn't help anything. Off and on one turn signal would work along with the high-beam light as well. I have all the body lights working after replacing two sockets one in front and one in back. I need to get a dome light it has been toast since I have owned the truck. If anyone has any advice or comments it would be appreciated. Thank you.YelloThumbUp

Last edited:

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Glad you are getting back to it!

The voltage regulator you are likely referring to is attached to the back of the instrument cluster with one screw and attaches to the printed circuit board via a strip with connectors similar to a 9 volt battery.

Once I replaced the instrument cluster housing, I had much better luck with bulbs having good electrical connections and working consistently.

As for the speedometer, since you had the instrument cluster off, you might make sure the speedo cable is fully seated in the back of the gauge. If it's not fully seated it may not work all the time.

On our 77(C4 trani), there is one screw to remove the speedometer cable from the transmission, pretty simple for sure. Should be easy to check for a stripped gear. And you should be able to replace the gear, it's just held on with a clip.

A lot of lighting issues can be caused by poor grounding. I was having some really odd issues with some turn signals and brake lights and all of that went away when I added some additional cables.

Last edited:

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
One more note on the gauges, my fuel, temp and oil gauges never seemed to be very accurate even after replacing the instrument voltage regulator, fuel sending unit, temp sending unit and oil sending unit. It was driving me nuts. I kept thinking about grounding and realized I had used thread tape on the oil and temp sending units. I pulled them out cleaned up the threads, added some thread tape to seal but left enough threading exposed to ground to the engine when they were screwed in and since then, all of the gauges have worked great!

One more note on the gauges, my fuel, temp and oil gauges never seemed to be very accurate even after replacing the instrument voltage regulator, fuel sending unit, temp sending unit and oil sending unit. It was driving me nuts. I kept thinking about grounding and realized I had used thread tape on the oil and temp sending units. I pulled them out cleaned up the threads, added some thread tape to seal but left enough threading exposed to ground to the engine when they were screwed in and since then, all of the gauges have worked great!

Thank you. I will trying to finish today. Thanks for the heads up on the grounding issues too. I am hoping replacing the back plate will cure some issues.

Update

Well I just got things back together. Bulbs work fine. Now my gauges do not register. I am sure with rough handling I damaged them or did not hook the regulator back up. I also had trouble putting the connector back in as well. Maybe some of the leads from the board were messed up as well. Overall I am happy but I would have preferred the gas gauge to work even if it was like before...working intemittantly.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I thought I saw online that there is a ICVR - Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator for them but I cannot seem to locate it (10804 in pic).

D1AZ-10804-A .. ICVR - Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator (Motorcraft GR-513) / Obsolete - Available NOS & from auto parts stores.

1971/86 F100/350 // 1971/91 Econoline // 1978/86 Bronco // 1983/85 Ranger // 1984/85 Bronco II // Misc 1971/79 FoMoCo Passenger Cars.

Attachments

• 20190604183158FPS-8096-B.jpg
Last edited:
D1AZ-10804-A .. ICVR - Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator (Motorcraft GR-513) / Obsolete - Available NOS & from auto parts stores.

1971/86 F100/350 // 1971/91 Econoline // 1978/86 Bronco // 1983/85 Ranger // 1984/85 Bronco II // Misc 1971/79 FoMoCo Passenger Cars.

Thank you Bill.

Ford Truck Articles