Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cab Off Repairs

smiliestirthepotsmiliestirthepotsmiliestirthepot

'hiding_smilie'

Last edited:
You forgot the "stir the pot" smiley with this one, Brad!

WHy do all those guys look like Mr GoodWrench?

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
They never said what they even fixed on the truck.... still think it is ridiculous to design a vehicle such that it has to be taken that far apart for even some of the simplest maintenance...

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
removing the cab sounds scary but i promise you it isnt. i have done 5, and it is such a easy process, i didnt need the book on the 3rd one.

blacksnapon

Staff member
very interesting video. how long does pulling the cab take in real time.
The more you do, the faster you become. Use 2-2 1/2 hours as a base. When you figure that a job that takes 28 hours, pays 14 hours, and pulling the cab lets you do it in 12...........how would you do it?

blacksnapon

Staff member
They never said what they even fixed on the truck.... still think it is ridiculous to design a vehicle such that it has to be taken that far apart for even some of the simplest maintenance...
What you're forgetting, is that its not necessary to pull the cab, it just makes it easier. After you do one, you'll think to yourself "why didn't I do this sooner". It also makes it easier on gms, dodges, and anythig else. Think about this: I changed 5 injectors on a 6.4 last week, without pulling the cab. What kind of "simple maintenance" are you referring to?

Fellro

Staff member
Valve cover gaskets, injectors and the like. I am by no means afraid of pulling the cab, but I don't have a lift available to me any more, so it is a bit more difficult for those of us that don't have well equipped shops to take care of this kind of thing. I won't own a vehicle that has the motor tucked under the cowl, making it difficult to do much without either removing the engine from the chassis, or pulling the cab off the frame. I'm more for being able to pop the hood and not be a contortionist to get anything done. My back is already screwed up enough, don't need that kind of thing to make it worse...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Valve cover gaskets, injectors and the like. I am by no means afraid of pulling the cab, but I don't have a lift available to me any more, so it is a bit more difficult for those of us that don't have well equipped shops to take care of this kind of thing. I won't own a vehicle that has the motor tucked under the cowl, making it difficult to do much without either removing the engine from the chassis, or pulling the cab off the frame. I'm more for being able to pop the hood and not be a contortionist to get anything done. My back is already screwed up enough, don't need that kind of thing to make it worse...
Ford made procedures for cab on repairs. Valve cover gaskets, injectors, glow plugs,engine r&r, turbo, and high pressure pump all can be done without cab removal. Even though it can be done, it is still easier to pull the cab for major engine work. If a garage tells you it costs more to pull the cab, go somewhere else. It makes it soooo much easier.

Interesting vid - do you know what they were servicing on the truck?

On a side note - was anyone able to undestand even one word of the lyrics?

Ford Truck Articles