Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Question....

MikeStoke

Army Firefighter
I am having a whistle sound from the engine area. "It sounds like blowing across a bottle but high pitch" Usualy worse in the morning 58-65*. I notice it when it shifts gears and when I let off of my "GO" pedal. Have heard this might be blown or leaking head gaskets? Anyone ever had this issue?

Thanks Mike

What kind of motor are you running? I had similar symptoms when one of the boots on my 7.3 was leaking. another one of the trucks I worked on had literally slipped the boot off at the Y connector. I have also heard of whistles due to a sticky IAC, but I'm getting ahead...
Maybe it would help to post your truck info in your signature, thru your user control panel?

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
if it does it at idle and or sitting there, then i would lean towards the ypipe is leaking. look around the firewall and see if you see soot on the firewall or pipes.

MikeStoke

Army Firefighter
I cannot get it to do it while at idle, Or in park giving it the rev-up. It only does it while driving. I am hitting the dealership on mon., or tue.

MikeStoke

Army Firefighter
It only does it when i give it the go pedal then let off. I hear it for about 1-4 seconds. but while just rolling nothing then i give it more go and let off i hear it again. No with that said ....I am not romping on the throttle it is normal driving. Also noticed my Degas bottle was empty yesterday.

Mike, I'm certainly not the know all, but I believe the whistle and the empty degas bottle are two separate issues.

Symptom
  • Hissing or rushing noise — high frequency sound. Vehicle performance is unaffected
Cause
  • Exhaust system. Exhaust flow through pipes
Check the exhaust system for leaks. Using a rubber mallet, TAP on the exhaust components to duplicate the noise concern. Lightly TAP on the muffler, then the catalytic converter. Determine if there are loose or broken baffles in the muffler or a loose or broken element in the catalytic converter. REPAIR or INSTALL new components as necessary.

Ford Truck Articles