Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.4L Intake whistle when cold

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Hey all.

In the 05, I get a whistle from the engine compartment at certain speed/rpm combinations. It only happens when the ambient temperature is cold.

Are there any particular parts or gaskets that give out with a minor leak? The thing just whistles... No idea where to start looking.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I didn't know what an IAC was until I googled it. Idle Air Control?

It does it even when the engine is warm, it only whistles when the ambient air is cold. It's running just fine though.

Ryan

blacksnapon

Staff member
I didn't know what an IAC was until I googled it. Idle Air Control?

It does it even when the engine is warm, it only whistles when the ambient air is cold. It's running just fine though.

Ryan
Intake leaks can generate a whistle, but there would probably be driveability issues. You might spray carb cleaner around to locate any air leaks. Its probably internal though.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thanks Vince. Maybe I'll pop off the Idle Air Control and see if it's got any gunk in it I can clean out.

Ryan
Try that and a carb cleaner soaked rag on the butterfly and mating surfaces inside the throttle body. There isn't any tsbs related to the symptom.

Ford Truck Articles