Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

How Well Does your Super Duty Tow

altfueltek

Certified Ford Tech
my rig

We tow out to the desert every other weekend or so until the heat gets unbearable. 37ft toyhauler, you know its there but it tows great! Love the tow/haul feature.

Attachments

• truckPicture 023_rs.jpg
I bought the truck thinking I'd end up with a larger boat. This one weighs in at 5000 lbs.

Attachments

• P1010034.jpg

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
Don't know yet but I will find out this summer, I have a 72' 24' travel trailer , has got be better than my last truck: 95 150 crew cab w/ 5.8l

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
My 2005 PSD pulls this.................
008-3.jpg

.............and this (it's not squatted in the rear, I had just put a 2.5" level in the front an hadn't added the F350 blocks in the rear yet)...............
IMG_1530.jpg

...................like they're not there.

And YES, I suffer from beiing "over-trucked". That'll all change when the pop-up gets traded for a 5th wheel and the boat gets hooked up behind the camper. That should make the psd grunt.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
How many of you guys towing with ford f250 gas 5.4?

several of r trucks at work have the 5.4 . Do fine on flat and just like v10 first hill they kick into passing gear and hit a brick wall.

But the transmission can be played with . smiliestirthepot

Now the manual trans truck pull all day long.

Nothing like a fuelly tho

CAPofMD

Delaware Chapter member
I tow this.....not a problem....but not quite in this configuration!

100_1443.jpg

I've got a 05 F350 CC with the 6.0 PS and put a 3,000 lb. truck camper in the bed and tow a 7,000 lb. boat. I am impressed with the power compared to my 96 F250 PS. The only thing I've noticed is going up long hills from Bull Shoals Lake the temp gauge rises when the turbo boost increases to around 30 PSI. Then I think a fan kicks in and the temp drops back down. Much more power and pep than the 7.3.

I over loaded my 12K gross dump trailer with fill dirt, so full it wouldn't dump, had to get a nearby fork lift to assist.
Pulled it with my friends SD dually diesel, could hardly tell it was there.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I've come to find out that my PSD tow's all this quite well.

002-6.jpg

Mine is a little rough until I get the gears. But I can still out tow a 1/2 ton.

This was a little rough.. on me and the trailer.. did you know a SD on 35's wont fit through the fender wells on a car trailer? (at least on mine).. we had to run them over and then take a jack and a sledge to get them off of the tires. I'm surprised my hitch didn't snap. I would have probably tried to put it on backwards to let the trailer carry the weight if the read axle wasn't torn out on the passenger side..

100517_183314.jpg

Last edited:
How does your truck tow?

Redbeard;I towed for four years with an 01 F250,4X4,EC,short bed with the 5.4.It did great until I bought my 24 foot enclosed car trailer,it towed it OK but really had to work on anything that looked like a hill or if you hit a headwind.It would use 2nd gear,even on the flat,if you hit any wind,and the gas gauge would drop like a rock.The engine never over heated or had oil pressure issues but I figured it would not keep up with the abuse,it had 130,000 on it when I offed it and got an 02,F350,7.3 dually,it tows like a champ,stock,except for an Air Dog filter,4" turbo back exhaust,and three gauges.My mileage went from 6[on a good day]for the 5.4 to 11-13.6 with the 7.3. ROY.

grewells

Professional Amateur
I pulled my '06 Keystone Mountaineer 35' 5th wheel from Clarksville, TN to Ft Bragg, NC. I passed through the smokies between Knoxville and Ashville. I was concerned about driveabilty towing a 15k trailer through the mountains. I se it on the tow/ haul configuration and it pulled great. It braked great and shifted smoothly. In fact i got @13 mpg going @65mph.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I pulled my '06 Keystone Mountaineer 35' 5th wheel from Clarksville, TN to Ft Bragg, NC. I passed through the smokies between Knoxville and Ashville. I was concerned about driveabilty towing a 15k trailer through the mountains. I se it on the tow/ haul configuration and it pulled great. It braked great and shifted smoothly. In fact i got @13 mpg going @65mph.
First off, welcome to the site! A properly running SD tows like a beast, doesn't it?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Wow... I would have expected 13mpg @ 65mph.... going downhill (the trailer pushing the truck... not the truck pulling the trailer)!!! smilieFordlogo

Mine pulls like a rapped ape. 3.73 gears, auto trans. Few goodies under the hood and all.

Last summer I moved the family back from Oregon to Wisconsin. Had a dual axel enclosed trailer on the back. Set the programmer to "TOW" mode and forgot about it. Was getten bout 17mpg @ 70 most of the time.

Ford Truck Articles