Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

VSS and Limp mode

1995 f150 5.8 259k

Twice now my tranny has gone into limp mode with OD flashing, code 452. Back in 1/2017 I had a similar issue but without this code and my speedo and odometer would blank out and tranny would go into limp mode. In the end I replaced the speed sensor before having to replace the cluster.

I plan to pull the speed sensor and clean it, but I’m looking for other suggestions.

Thanks!

Well, I cleaned the sensor and it happened again right after. The next time NO flashing OD or code, could I have a tranny solenoid going out? Any way to test anything?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
More likely a broken wire somewhere

Try looking at the connection first, then work over to the frame.
The wire has a habit of getting "caught" on things

pay special attention to rub marks around the shock

So it is happening about once a day now and I can hit the dash and it will start shifting again. Guess I need to check cluster and wiring back there.

So I tried to repair the circuit board and it still didn’t work so I shipped it out to clusterfix who responded saying that my board was programmed for a motor home speed sensor input and would never work on an F150....how would this have happened?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sounds like someone before you hit a junk yard to repair your truck
Probably the same thing you will have to do.

Actually I’ve had the truck for 15 years and my dad had it before me, we’ve done all the work on it.

Any chance something could have fried the processor enough to alter it?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Possible, I had a friend got a lightning bolt strike through his antenna. Fried the whole dash.
Doubt you wer so lucky

Could be the vendor just used that as an excuse

Junk yard shopping isn't too far fetched, you may find a clean dash set up with a set of gauges and a tach

Not sure how your state does the mileage thing, or if it's that important too you, if you are keeping the truck. You may find that the odometer is close to where your truck is now

If you do change, it would be a great time to upgrade all the bulbs to led in there, that way you will never have to pull it apart again

Yeah I was worried that it might have been an excuse to not get my core deposit...

They are actually giving me another board and flashing it to my mileage, I’m just worried that this might happen again.

Great idea with LEDs, I really don’t want to take any of this apart again!!

Thanks!!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Sounds like a good solution.
I doubt that you will have this problem again.
In the 6 90's trucks I have, none have ever had this problem. Not even the 2 diesel trucks

You should do a write up, and post it when it's done
:)

Last edited:
I’m thinking of starting a YouTube channel for my journey of becoming a ford mechanic! :)

So I got the new psom board back in my truck and they coded it to cal code 972, what is the standard cal code for my truck? I can’t find it anywhere. Does it matter if I only have 29s?

Last edited:
Ok, I just did the calculations and I’m looking at 967 and it is currently at 972, I don’t think it’s worth blowing a cal for.

Ford Truck Articles