Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

trans won't go into overdrive....

I have a truck to possibly get, it's an '85 witha 302 and an auto transmission that the owner says won't shift into overdrive. Should I stay away? I can't work on them myself but I'm wondering if I may be looking at a simple fix or is it gonna be an expensive repair? Jim

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
85 with a 302 probably has an AOD, won't shift into OD, more than likely a TV cable problem. Should be a simple fix. However, that's just my best guess with the info you posted. So is it safe to say the deal with the 95 fell through?

Hey Ben, first off thanks for all the help, secondly gotta tell you that I like your sig line.
Thirdly, It's been nuts around here with trying to get a truck. I can easily get a really rough shape '85 - 4 speed, 300, solid frame, missing floor, crappily done bedsides and terrible interior, non working tailgated truck. It runs good, and with a ton of TLC it could be decent someday....900bucks.

I can drive 93 miles one way to look at a '95 302, auto, supposedly runs great, newer bed, rusted front fenders and alot of new underframe parts. needs tires .....$1000 obo. inspected til may 2010.

Finally (for now) I can drive 80 miles to buy a '93 302 auto, runs great, 4wd works, good tires, decent body and underframe and bed, tailgate even works! nice interior, power drivers side window needs repaired. New gas tanks but front one is leaking gas from topside (maybe hose or seal) gas gauge stuck on 1/2 tank. The downer for me is the kid put new side exiting exhaust pipes (duals) won't pass Pa. inspection and if I spend the asked for $1200, I won't be able to afford the cost of a new set of exhaust pipes and cats. If the kid would have just left the original setup on it might not have sounded or looked so cool, but he'd have a buyer! I'd love to have this truck, it's worth the money he's asking but I just can't afford it. Jim

Ouch, How soon are you needing the truck?

If not Immediately, why not sit tight till you find what you want??

Why wont the the '93 pas inspection? I thought "Federal" said it just has to exit passed the "passenger compartment" or is that just Tx?

TV Cable? Where is it?

Ben mentioned that an AOD transmission on an '85 F150 might have a TV Cable problem. The tranny won't go into overdrive the owner tells me. Where is this cable located? is it something that can visually be checked to see if connected or broken, and can I reach it to at least reconnect or replace? I'd like to check out the truck and if the TV cable is easily accessible I may go check it out. Jim

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

However, after re-reading and realizing it's just an OD problem, I'm not sure if TV cable is still relevant.

Thanks for the help Ben. the pickings are thinning out as far as available trucks, and this '85 looks decent if the stinkin' overdrive would work, but I sure don't want to touch it if it's got more serious transmission troubles. The owner claims that his son took it on a highway drive and when he came back told his Dad that the truck wouldn't go over 55 mph, and they figured out that it wouldn't go into overdrive. He also told me that I could pick up a tranny for 250 bucks but I don't want to get into any major work, especially with my wife already putting me in the doghouse for selling my Jeep and wanting a truck! Jim

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I dunno man, sounds like that particular tranny is toast, I think I'd pass on it. I had similar experience with an AOD once, wouldn't get out of second and would only hit 55-60mph...this led to a long list of reasons as to why I HATE AOD's.

Yeah, unfortunately I think I will. I made an offer on one yesterday, It's a '94 300, 5 speed. Body's got panels rivetd on and underside is good, semi-new tires, beds decent, needs exhaust, but it's inspected til 6/10. he claims he's put alot of new front end parts,etc. Tailgate is rusted pretty bad on bottom, but still works. The guy wanted 1500 bucks and I offered 1200, he told me he wouldn't come down so I walked to my ride, and he mentioned to call him back in a few days and he might come down a little. I actually only have 1300 skins to put out, and would like to keep it under 1200. I've been on a couple wild goose chases, and I'm not very patient so I'm hoping to get this one as it'll be a good truck and ought to last til I can get money to put into it the way I'd like. Plus, I'm getting tired of the highs and then lows and disappointments of these searches. Jim

Ford Truck Articles