Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

So, need schooled on bearing install

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
When you installed the crank....did use use a plastigauge or dial indicator?

I did, sorta, and they were numbered; BUT, I got dyslexic and flip flopped them. Had them snugged up but not torqued when I caught it.

And you say the tabs should be together, not on each side of the journal????????

Doesn't the block and caps have grooves cut in them for the tabs ?

It sounds like one of the bearings spun to me.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
When you installed the crank....did use use a plastigauge or dial indicator?
Yeah, sure, maybe.... :(
Doesn't the block and caps have grooves cut in them for the tabs ?

It sounds like one of the bearings spun to me.

They do, and I did install those properly, I am certain that's where #### went awry....

Fellro

Staff member
So, what you do, is take a piece of plastigauge, which is getting hard to find these days, but parts stores still have it sometimes, and place it between the bearing and the crank, then you tighten the cap down, torque it, then take it back apart. You then measure the width that it smashed down to to find your clearance. The plastigauge comes in different colors to denote the size clearance you are trying to adjust for. One key thing, do this one cap at a time, and do NOT rotate the motor. (That is actually on the instructions! Obviously someone has!)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That might be part of the problem....you need the correct clearance between the journal and the bearing..it's just an oil film that separates and lubricates...too tight and you have issues, too loose and you have issues.

Have a read:

http://underthehood.mahleclevite.com/?p=618

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Fellro

Staff member
Both are reputable, I have no issue with either. (Had me scratching my head too... )

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major brands Eric.

I think most of the bearings TMI gave me for my 434 were Durabond and King.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
As of right now, I'm thinking my Cleveland will be getting re sealed and installed for the moment. That way the car is drivable and I can work on the Windsor (or my other Mod) as time allows. I can do it right and install some additional pieces, maybe even enlarge the displacement...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Sounds like a good plan.

Fellro

Staff member
BTW, I have removed many Clevites that were factory install...

Ford Truck Articles