Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

powerband/shift points ford 300-6

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Hey, I hooked up to my dad's Camino to see how my truck would do towing 6,000+ lbs. I wasn't real impressed. I blame my automatic transmission (had to rev up to 2K before really moving). I shudder to think how a 300 would handle a heavy load like that with an automatic and high gears.

I think the 300 makes an excellent light duty work horse though. I can even get decent fuel mileage if I keep my foot out of it.

Hey, I hooked up to my dad's Camino to see how my truck would do towing 6,000+ lbs. I wasn't real impressed. I blame my automatic transmission (had to rev up to 2K before really moving). I shudder to think how a 300 would handle a heavy load like that with an automatic and high gears.

I think the 300 makes an excellent light duty work horse though. I can even get decent fuel mileage if I keep my foot out of it.

Yeah, thats why Ford made most of the 300s with the T18 or M5OD. Much better for towing. My dad towed his 1963 Thunderbird + trailer with it 3 or 4 times, at around 7000 lbs. Last time him and I went fishing and towed our boat (around 5500lbs w/ trailer) over the Sierras (7200ft summit). The 300 was in its element, low RPM pulling up hill. :D

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
Yeah, thats why Ford made most of the 300s with the T18 or M5OD. Much better for towing.
I have always found it odd that the M5OD was so derated in the towing department...it really is a heck of a transmission for what it is. In my Ranger for example it was only rated to tow I believe 1100 lbs with the 4.0L engine, whereas the A4LD auto (ironically, well known as a POS tranny) was rated to over 4500 lbs.

I have always found it odd that the M5OD was so derated in the towing department...it really is a heck of a transmission for what it is. In my Ranger for example it was only rated to tow I believe 1100 lbs with the 4.0L engine, whereas the A4LD auto (ironically, well known as a POS tranny) was rated to over 4500 lbs.

Ive never had any issues with mine, and my dad never did either. I still want to find a ZF5 though, that would be cool. :)

Kind of cool knowing we have glorified tractor motors. ;)

Yeah. :D

I love the way they sound. :)

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Yeah. :D

I love the way they sound. :)

I do too. I have an exhaust system on mine. To me it sounds like a cross between a V8 and a diesel 4-Cylinder. I know it's hard to describe but it's just something you'd have to hear. I like it personally.

I'm like you, I'd like to put a ZF behind my truck to. If i had all the money in the world I would convert my engine to carb and build it, swap my transmission for a ZF and convert my truck to four wheel drive with a lift tall enough to fit 35 inchers.

A guy can dream can't he? :hammer:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida

Alot of that has to do with having to honor warranty issues. Not everybody can drive a standard tranny that well, and if people start tearing up there clutches while towing, it could get expensive for Ford fast.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
You know, it really surprises me but even with my low gearing I can still cruise at 30 @ 1,000 rpm in over-drive. I don't think that's healthy for the motor, ha. I usually kick it out of over-drive when driving at low speeds.

One good thing about the 300.. It doesn't have to wrap itself up in RPM's to death.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ill do ya one better. When my jeep wasnt torn apart into a million pieces I could let the clutch out and it would start goin without havin to put my foot on the gas. It would put around at idle in every gear (3 on the floor without a granny) and it would do that all day long. Its just got an old buick dauntless v6 in it with a 1bbl carb. Also has 4.88 gears in the axles and 30 inch tires.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Wow, neat! Was 3rd gear matching, do you know??

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
On the same note, my Ranger would do that with the 4.0L V6 and M5OD...start with no gas and idle happily around with 3.08s in the rear axle.

Ford Truck Articles