Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starting Problems

MikeStoke

Army Firefighter
I have a 1995 f-150 That sometimes when i start it the dash lights start blinking on and off and i hear a clicking sound. Now sometimes I try to start it and It will click, click like the battery is dead, then I can try it again and it fires right up. The battery is new and the alt. has been checked and is good. Could it be a computer problem or maybe a solenoid? I am not getting a light on the dash so not sure if its throwing a code. Should I take it in and see if a code can be read?

I have a 1995 f-150 That sometimes when i start it the dash lights start
blinking on and off and i hear a clicking sound. Now sometimes I try to start
it and It will click, click like the battery is dead, then I can try it again and it
fires right up. The battery is new and the alt. has been checked and is good.
Could it be a computer problem or maybe a solenoid? I am not getting a light
on the dash so not sure if its throwing a code. Should I take it in and see if
a code can be read?
Get an analog volt/ohmmeter and/or a friend that's got one then let the
meter tell you (guys) -exactly- where the trouble/s is/are!

Any other way is a crap-way to do it.
No kidding on that. :) Funny thing is, it's easy as anything to use a meter,
but, you ain't gonna follow my advice! LOL :)

You'll swap parts until you "fix" it (or just clear the trouble up on yourself)
...so it can return later. Seen it a jillion times.

Please prove me wrong about assuming you're like almost everyone else. :)
I'll be happy as a frog for both of us. LOL :)

Alvin in AZ

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Alvin is right! A meter is your best friend with this type of issue.
Sounds like a wiring or Ground issue. Check all your grounds, and connectors one may be corroded a meter can tell you this by reading the voltage drop in the circuit.

blacksnapon

Staff member
loose battery cables/connections, either at the battery or the starter.

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
I also had issues where the starter relay/solenid on the inner fender isnt grounded properly. make sure the attatching bolts are tight. if u are still having issues u can try to jump the solenoid but that is kind of dangerous.

Start with cleaning the battery cable connections, check for loose grounds (and the starter relay/solenoid on the fender) and work from there. after that check for voltage like Alvin said.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Sounds like a ground problem to me as well. Check your cables and connections like suggested.

my truck did this a few weeks ago and at first i thought the starter or the battery was going out but after a closer look at the ignition wire that runs to the starter it was frayed and i talk to a few local mechanics and it turns out that it was a consant problem on fords for that wire to wear out so for 7 bucks i replaced and i havent had a problem since then

Yep, what Blacksnapon said. I had a similar issue with my 94 f-350, cleaned the terminals at the batteries, ground, and starter and the problem was solved. my truck is a psd 7.3, and the glow plugs weren't working well and it was corroded conections to blame. Cleaned em up, and now she fire at 10 degres without pluging in. (hasn't been any colder here in Mi, this year!)

Ford Truck Articles