Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Considering an '05 XLT?

Hi all, I'm new and thought I'd go straight to the pros to get answers. I am considering buying an '05 Crew Cab XLT 6.0 4x4. The one in particular that I went and looked at seems to be in good shape, I haven't done a VIN report or anything yet, but I was hoping to get some advice - is there anything in particular I should be looking at/for? This truck has 160k mi, aftermarket exhuast and programmer, and decent interior. Also, oversized tires and an engine block heater? Asking price is $13,500.

Does anyone know of a site where I can find the exact specs and option packages for this year?

Thanks to all in advance!

Tony

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I guess I would wonder what kind of a life it has had given oversize tires and a programmer...not that it is always a bad thing, just would make me wonder.
At that kind of mileage I would be curious about the EGR, injectors and possibly the head gaskets.
Having said that, I have an 05 6.0 and have been very happy with it...recently did the EGR delete, bedplate gasket and since they had the engine out, new headgaskets.

At that kind of mileage I would be curious about the EGR, injectors and possibly the head gaskets.
Having said that, I have an 05 6.0 and have been very happy with it...recently did the EGR delete, bedplate gasket and since they had the engine out, new headgaskets.

Thanks for the reply - I didn't mention it, but this one has the EGR delete as well - can't speak for the head gaskets, though... no visible leaks underneath, however.

Also, is a block heater standard? This has the extension cord out front, and being as I know next to nothing about diesels or Ford models, I'm curious.

Thanks again!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Block heaters are a way of life here...especially with a diesel, I think they are a standard item above a certain latitude.

All 6.0's came with block heaters. But, believe it or not, the cord was the option....I kid you not!

All 6.0's came with block heaters. But, believe it or not, the cord was the option....I kid you not!

That's simply amazing. I'm sure it was listed as something outlandish on the spec sheet, too - with an equally outlandish price.

Also, I think I may have been wrong in saying it was an XLT - does FX4 mean anything different? I assume its the 4x4...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I should go fine mine for comparison...not a Harley, but I'd be curious...I think it listed at 62ish.

So what all is included in the "towing package"? This one doesn't seem to have the brake controller...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I thought that that package included the integral controller...I believe it also had the wiring (4 and 7 pin), the receiver for the hitch and 3.73 gears.

To answer better I'll have to get the brochure out....

On the window sticker you can see 'trailer tow' package is standard equip. That must be the wiring and that's about it....

05WindowStickerLargeb.jpg

As you can see on the window sticker here, the hitch and controller is a listed option...

05WindowStickerLargec.jpg

I know that today Ford offers as an option the 'fifth wheel prep' package that includes all the under bed stuff and in the bed electrical plug in connector.

I'm not going to look...my cloth seats suit us just fine! But I'm still jealous.

Ford Truck Articles