Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

trans 4x4 conversion

i have 2 87 f150's one with a straight 6 with 4 speed man. 4x4. the other with 302 v8 with e4od automatic 2x4. i want to take the transmission from the 6 cylinder and put it on the v8 is that possible to just bolt on or is the bolt pattern diffrent?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The bolt pattern is the same but the output shaft at the rear of the transmission is different. The only way to make it work is to take apart the transmission and change the output shaft. I don't know much about that conversion so it's probably much more complicated than that-- but from what I've heard it is WAY too much work to convert a transmission between 4x4 and 4x2.

You're better off buying another that is already 4x2.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
So you want to put the manual trans into the 2wd? You have to find the end peice of a 2wd manual case so it converts urs to it. It would be hack but you might be able to put the trans in and leave the tcase on and just get a shaft to fit. You wouldnt attach a front shaft to it lol.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Like above the tail shafts r different . If you know where to get on go for it .

The problem with swapping the tailshafts, it that is is about the last piece to come out of a transmission and the first to go back in. A lot of work, but it is the best time to rebuild everything.

Most of the time, people would rather just find the correct trans and bolt it in. Depends on if you can find a junk one to get the tailshaft and tailhousing from. There again...you are finding the one that would bolt in anyway, taking it almost completely apart, so why not just rebuild that one?

See what I mean?

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Also might need another flywheel . I have no clue about older 4 spds.

Just keep the straight six how it is, its a much better motor than the 302 IMHO. Especially since its a 4x4, thats an awesome truck. Does it have LS? That 4speed with the granny gear will wheel like crazy.

thanks guys. the 4x4 is pretty much rotted away about 90% rust. the 2x4 is in mint condition thats why i want to cconvert it.the front end pretty much bolts in to all existing hardware. now im wondering if i can just swap the t case. it seems if i remove the extinsion housing from the 2x4 the t case should bolt up in its place on the automatic trans. i will get some pics up here asap. thanks for your input

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If you remove the extension housing the tcase will NOT bolt in place. The output shaft on the transmission is different between a 4x2 and a 4x4. You WILL NOT make it work unless you change that output shaft.

You could install the transmission and the tcase onto the 4x2 and then just not attach a front driveshaft... But then you'll be turning the internals on the tcase for no good reason.

If you remove the extension housing the tcase will NOT bolt in place. The output shaft on the transmission is different between a 4x2 and a 4x4. You WILL NOT make it work unless you change that output shaft.

You could install the transmission and the tcase onto the 4x2 and then just not attach a front driveshaft... But then you'll be turning the internals on the tcase for no good reason.

Even if the Tcase is in 2wd?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Even if the Tcase is in 2wd?
Yup. The chain drive won't be engaged so that won't be spinning, but you'll be spinning a lot of the components on the passenger side of the case. Not to mention you're pulling around that extra 100 or so lbs of metal and fluid. Weight = decreased gas mileage ;)

You can see the stuff on the right side that would be spinning:

DSC00726-small.jpg

DSC00725-small.jpg

Yup. The chain drive won't be engaged so that won't be spinning, but you'll be spinning a lot of the components on the passenger side of the case. Not to mention you're pulling around that extra 100 or so lbs of metal and fluid. Weight = decreased gas mileage ;)

You can see the stuff on the right side that would be spinning:

huh. makes sense... [confused] :)

that looks like a nice clean bw 13-56, i need one of those for my 89 deisel! i hope someone replaced that chain while they where in there it looks a little stretched.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lol-- I was the one who opened it, thats my tcase.. And no I didnt replace the chain. Didn't have that much slack, though it may look like it.

Ford Truck Articles