Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Converting a F250 into a 1/2 ton

The front suspension is almost in and the swaybar is clamped on the frame,going to get new rotors and mastercylinder and then plumb the rest of the brake lines and the front will be done then on to the rear. Its going to get a rear swaybar too but might have to do some modifications to the links due to the frame width differences,the swaybars came off another 76 years ago and I am glad I grabbed them since its the only 73 to 79 I ever seen with front and rear swaybars in a junkyard.

Master cylinder and brake lines are done and will be installing the calipers and rotors next,thinking about going to the junkyard where the front suspension came from and grabbing the tie rods since the spindles are thicker on the dsc brake spindles then the originals and will have to grind the castle nuts down to get the cotter pins to go in.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
your on a roll there...

I will like the truck better whan its done,it will stop and handle better and be more comfortable on the highway and not just use it around town only. Now I will be able to take it on long trips so to me its not a waste of money,I will have less then 500 dollars on the conversion and yes that would have bought alot of gas but when that money was spent I would still have a truck that I would not take on long trips. Even if I would have originally installed a 351-W and AOD I still would have been tearing it apart since I did pick up a set of 8 lug disc brake beams and front and rear sway bars but this time I am only adding the rear end to the change so I would have been spending money no matter what I was doing. I build my vehicles to drive and be comfortable and safe so to me I am just improving it.

The front suspension is very close to being done,all I have left to do is one rotor and caliper and bleed the brakes. Had a mid 70s tie rod assembly in stock so its on and grease up,it will be done tomorrow and all that i will have to do is get one tire repaired then on to changing to a 9 inch. 4 years ago i sold a 77 with the factory aluminum wheels to someone who just wanted the motor and I heard its still sitting in his yard so off to see if I can find it,I wish I had time to paint everything but I need this truck done in a couple weeks since I have to get my 55 sunliner in that garage to get it ready for a trip to Florida as it needs tires and shocks plus a new rear window.

Last edited:
Front suspension is done and all I have to do is get the one tire repaired then on to the rear,I wish I knew about gravity bleeding the brakes years ago since I had no one to help me today so that is the way I bled the brakes.

It went around the block and stops good,it does not have a firm enough pedal but I only gravity bleed the system since the rear will be disconnected in a couple days. It went down the road suprisingly straight and the steering wheel was centered with the beams from one truck and the tie rods from another,its back on stands with the bolts on the rear soaking in PB blaster.

Rear end is out and wil be heading to the spring shop to get bolts since I will be removing three leaves,I will be installing the 9 inch in a couple days and might be going to a one piece driveshaft if the one I have is long enough.

Had a little setback today,removed a 2.75 pig from a 78 about 10 years ago and it dissapeared so on the hunt for another and having a hard time finding a complete set of decent steel rims. Made a list of brake parts need but was able to take off about half by looking around the garage so that will be good on the wallet,due to some medical bills I am trying to spend a little as possible to get the swap done.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
sorry to hear about the setback mate...

Been wracking my brain trying to figure out what I done with the 2.75 pig but do not remember ever selling or giving it away,the 78 I have behind the garage has one so it will be coming out and since it has a C-6 I am going to see if the one piece driveshaft will work..

Been wracking my brain trying to figure out what I done with the 2.75 pig but do not remember ever selling or giving it away,the 78 I have behind the garage has one so it will be coming out and since it has a C-6 I am going to see if the one piece driveshaft will work..

How do you lose your rear end?....smilieeatndrink

Here in Calif,its easy to lose a rear end...:rolling laugh:
Theres too many people here that like to take peoples steel items
to the scrap yard.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

maybe someone 20 fingered it?? or if theyre a power lifter.. mighta 10 fingered it..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Probably did deliver it too and the gears are out of the 78 that is behind the garage and found a pair of axle seals in the drawers so two less parts to buy. The seals were for a friends 64 country sedan that he sold so I will use them,looked them up on Napas website and they are the same for a 69 f100 9 inch so in they will go. I hope to have it done by next week and need to find a set of rims soon.

Probably did deliver it too and the gears are out of the 78 that is behind the garage and found a pair of axle seals in the drawers so two less parts to buy. The seals were for a friends 64 country sedan that he sold so I will use them,looked them up on Napas website and they are the same for a 69 f100 9 inch so in they will go. I hope to have it done by next week and need to find a set of rims soon.

You lose your rims?....smilieeatndrink

Just do not have enough 5 lug rims around here,I have a set on the 78 but I have to keep them on so it will roll to the scrap yard and need the 66 done so I can haul it there and then I will have extra rims so I need to come up with four so I can drive the 66 after the 1/2 ton conversion is done. I sold a 77 F150 4 years ago that had the factory aluminum wheels and if I knew I was going to convert the 66 to a 1/2 ton then I would have put steel rims on the 77 since the guy bought it for the motor and trans to use in a mustang.

Ford Truck Articles