Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

what oil for 300-I6

truck needs an oil change. sticker says "next service due 03/2007 or 70,500 miles" it's about a year and a half late.

googling looks like the filter is the FL1A

what about the oil weight - i've seen 10w30 and 10w40

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'd go with either 5w30 or 10w30. The 5w30 will be a little easier to crank the engine over in cold weather, and I know it gets pretty cold near you.

I've read that you want to keep the gap between the two numbers as small as possible, ie, you don't wanna use 5w90 (if that existed).

i'm pretty sure in my old 460 i did 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. if no one thinks 10w30 is a bad idea, that'd be great b/c i already have some.

it gets "cold" by california standards i guess, but in the summer the low is 60 and high is 90+. winter on the other hand get get in the teens and single digits pretty easily

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
10w-30 is a good weight for an everyday engine

everything went pretty well last night other than...

i've never changed the oil on any other vehicle that was so hard to get to the drain plug and filter. i'm sure there are worse out there, but what a pain to do in the driveway.

plug is on one side, filter is on the other. to make it worse, the filter is too high to get from the bottom and too low to get (easily) from the top. life will go on, and i'll still do it myself - just felt like griping.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I had similar issue getting the filter off on my buddy's 93 bronco. It was JUST in the wrong spot to get at it from the top or the bottom. We ended up getting it from the top.

tomtoc, i had no idea you got rid of your big eight and got a big six. I've been using 10w40 in mine for about 4 years now with no problems. I love this engine. i never had any problems reaching the filter from the bottom. oh and make sure you put the pan more toward the passenger side than you'd think when taking out the plug. in other words, dont put the pan directly under the plug because the plug is sideways and the oil comes out sideways. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that though.

tomtoc, i had no idea you got rid of your big eight and got a big six. I've been using 10w40 in mine for about 4 years now with no problems. I love this engine. i never had any problems reaching the filter from the bottom. oh and make sure you put the pan more toward the passenger side than you'd think when taking out the plug. in other words, dont put the pan directly under the plug because the plug is sideways and the oil comes out sideways. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that though.
just sold it monday and bought this one - love it so far. i'll love it even more when i fill up early next week.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
I run Castrol GTX 10w30.

Hope this helps.

Ford Truck Articles