Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New EcoBoost

Fellro

Staff member
So far the ecoboost in my mom's Edge is performing flawlessly, delivering 27-30 mostly highway. She was dealing with a high headwind on the last trip out east, and still managed to keep a general average of 27. That was over the entire trip, not that leg of it. She has over 12,000 miles on it already since she got it a bit over a month ago. That is two or 3 trips from Iowa to Virginia, through St Louis, and back, then a few trips to Minneapolis area, and now two trips to the bootheel in Missouri and back.

Last edited:
Won't get that mileage!

So far the ecoboost in my mom's Edge is performing flawlessly, delivering 27-30 mostly highway. She was dealing with a high headwind on the last trip out east, and still managed to keep a general average of 27. That was over the entire trip, not that leg of it. She has over 12,000 miles on it already since she got it a bit over a month ago. That is two or 3 trips from Iowa to Virginia, through St Louis, and back, then a few trips to Minneapolis area, and now two trips to the bootheel in Missouri and back.

I won't get anyware near that mileage! I ordered mine with the MAX payload and MAX tow but then again I need my truck to tow my trailer and do hauling.

Fellro

Staff member
It also is a 4 cylinder, and lighter vehicle. Skandocious was getting low 20's with his, not much towing involved there either. For his needs, that is just general running around.

I filled up my truck for the first time and got 17.8mpg. I think that is pretty good considering I have the max payload and max tow package. The instant mileage bar helps me keep my foot out of it. Next month will be the first trip towing the trailer, it will be interesting how well the EcoBoost toes towing 8500lbs in the mountians of WV.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
One of our members indicated that the truck will use a little more gas for the first couple thousand miles and will improve after that. I think it was in the programming, but I don't recall exactly. Hopefully Chris will chime in.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Since my name got brought up I guess I'll chime in here :D For what it's worth, I've had nearly zero issues with the motor itself. I had some transmission concerns but most of those have been kind of ironed out by now. You should be fine-- enjoy the truck!

One of our members indicated that the truck will use a little more gas for the first couple thousand miles and will improve after that. I think it was in the programming, but I don't recall exactly. Hopefully Chris will chime in.

Ryan
Yeah that was something that a lot of people were saying in the start-- that there was some magic mileage number where you'd suddenly get 2-3 mpg more. I don't know if it was quite that dramatic-- but it did seem like I picked up maybe 1 mpg on average after about 3000 miles-- may have been in my head though.

I have a 2012 F150. It gets 18.5 to 18.9 thats the best it done so far. I has 6000 miles on it. I love the truck. Will it do better? I talked to a Ga. State patrolman today that sais he gets 24-25 on the hwy. He said it has a "sweet spot". Around 1500 RPM is where he keeps his on the hwy. I could stand a little of that. It has awsome power. It's a very nice ride. But then I'm a Ford truck fanatic.
Fast Eddie

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If those turbos aren't spinning much, your fuel mileage is going to do a lot better.

What's your truck configuration? Is it a bigger model? A crew cab 4x4 isn't going to do as well as a standard cab short bed 4x2.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gearing can/will have a couple of mpg difference too. The higher numerically the gear ratio...the worse the mpg.

I'm still looking for some input on the Ecoboost. I heard today that Summitt makes a chip that will increase my mileage. I'm trying to get better mileage but so far no luck. I understand all the variables. Listen, I'm running a 2012 F150 supercrew, 4x2 with the V6 Ecoboost. I'm driving city and hwy and my mileage is averageing 17.5. Not loaded, not towing, 2 passengers and my dog. I have 10,000 miles on the truck. My longest trip was a 5 hr. Interstate hwy. It got up to 18.9 on that trip and fell back to 17.5 once we got back to short hauls. We frequently take 2.5 hr. trips and the mileage stays the same. I drive very easy on the throttle and use the cruise as much as possible. I would like to find out if Ford can help me with the "chip" or am I on my own. I'm convinced the truck will do better, I just need to know how. The service manager ask my wife if she was happy with the mileage last week when we had our first oil change at 10,000 miles. She expressed her dissatisfaction and his reply was " It'll get better". Hogwash, I don't think so. Not by adding miles. There must be something we can do besides just accepting that this is the way it is. If you can help me, please, I would like to know. I love the truck.

Fellro

Staff member
I know that cruise is usually touted as giving better mileage, but not always true. I find that on larger hills, the cruise can be a bit slow to respond on many vehicles, which will rob you of efficiency. Also, what speeds are you driving? Fuel mileage goes down at higher speeds, the most efficient is not going to happen at 70 mph.
As far as Ford helping out with any aftermarket chip, not going to happen, and you also have to be careful as adding such things can void warranty. You could inquire if there have been any updates, but there may not be. As also mentioned, final gears in the axles can also affect what you get for actual mileage over what the sticker says is the rated mileage.

I have seen mileage change after 20,000 miles though. The Edge has improved, and I know I will likely catch a little over this, I have observed a slight increase with using synthetic vs conventional. Generally only good for 1-3 mpg though.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Are you using premium or regular?...we tried regular and noticed less performance and less mpg.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
If it was me...I would not be happy with 17mpg with a 6cyl sorry guys,i dont care if its a truck or not..heck im seeing 17.9 with a V-8 in a half ton extended cab 4x4 with over 130,000 miles,Bone stock(no its not a Ford sorry to say that).....Now i would be looking into air intake upgrades that wont affect warrenty issues along with some kind of free flowing dual exhaust setup..gotta get that baby breathing better....imo that ecoboost should be producing much better numbers than 17-18 mpg's.....The Factory has definitly left room for imrpovement from my perspective.....Also a tuner is not a bad idea IF you intend on keeping the rig long term and do towing with it.it gives you tunable options,for your needs...which superseeds a custom tune by itself....once it is done your stuck with how the peramiters are setup.

Last edited:

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
I was down at the ford dealer the other day drooling over a new F-150. But with the numbers your guys are seeing, I think ill stick with the super duty.

I drove from North Dakota to North Idaho, that's over 2 HUGE mountain passes, and averaged 18.6 according to the scangauge. I didn't back my numbers up but for the most part the avg mpg on the scangauge is pretty tight. Now I am comparing apples to oranges, since the diesel isn't stock. But its also a Crew Cab Long Box with a Fiberglass Canopy and Bed Liner with 35" Tires and a small lift. So if the ecoboost was running that same set up, I would expect the mileage would be awful. Hell my hemi dodge average 15-16mpg, and my 85 F-150 gets 20.

Ford Truck Articles