Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

how to remove headlight assembly?

I need to remove the turn signal/marker light/ headlight bezel and lenses to replace broken ones and I need to find out the correct way to remove. This is on a '94 F-150.

I'll be going to a picka part junkyard to get new assembly, and was wondering if there's only a few screws to remove or if I gotta get in behind the assembly from inside engine compartment to remove any screws.

The bezel and lenses are already busted and stripped from my truck now, the actual headlight lens is still intact. Jim

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Unfortunately this is not an 'easy' task if you haven't done it before. It's not impossible or even that hard, but the way it was installed is like nothing I had seen before.

From inside the engine compartment if memory serves there are 3 nuts on studs that are physically attached to the light. You have to remove those 3 nuts. When you get those off the bezel and amber bottom light and the corner light will come off but the main headlight will still be in place, but it's much more self-explanitory once you get that cover off.

Ryan

Ryan, Thanks alot. That's just what I was wondering. Thanks to a run in with a chainlink fence my bezel and amber lens and side marker lens got destroyed but not enough to clearly show me how to remove the whole assembly and reinstall.

I'll be going to a junkyard next weekend and wanted to know exactly how to remove the assembly. Thank you for the help. Jim

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If you can find an exploded diagram, it'll help a lot.

I've only torn one apart, but I don't know if I could have done it at all without the picture in the manual.

Fellro

Staff member
I did it a while back, but don't remember much about it, which means it wasn't all that bad. I had the whole rad support out as well...

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Well just did my whole front end, there are 2 bolts you have to take off to get the bezels and lights out, 2 11mils on the bottom, farly easy to do. On the back on the lower longer amber lights are where the 2 are, then the 2 phillips on the top. if you have to take headlights out, your better off taking the whole header panal out.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Man Wish I''d paid attention. I've done so many .

But like said 2 nuts in side engine bay 2 on top . Same same . Finding them is fun part they r hid.

Can't find em let me know I may have some.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I got I think 2 or 3 pairs of the lower stock ones, and a pair or 2 of the corners, no bezels tho.

Thanks guys , very much appreciate it. I didn't want to spend any longer than I have to in the junk yard trying to remove the assembly. I got an assembly from Ebay and paid for it then the guy told me the turn signal lens was cracked (luckily he asked before he sent) and I told him to just send me a refund. I'm waiting for it and hoping I didn't get ripped off. He charged me 45 bucks and now I found out I can get it at pick a part for 30. Jim

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
oh man getting to the headlights are a paint, Hope you header panel (piece of plastic that mounts all lights on tront and grill) isnt broken. there like 250 bucks with headlgiths.

Ford Truck Articles