Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Steering Fluid/Hydraboost - In-Line Filter Install

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Wanted to start a new thread on this topic as I believe it is the first thread actually showing the installation of the Magnefine in-line power-steering fluid filter (or any filter for that mater). Other sites have discussed this filter, but no one has installed one or researched like I have. Let it be known that a member of FTF had it posted here first!!!

Hopefully, this thread will become a "sticky" for others to reference and learn from. it works on all cars and trucks, but my pictures will show it being installed on my 2003 Ford Excursion 6.0L Diesel.

I always wondered about filtering one's power-steering fluid as we filter the trucks air, oil, tranny and for some of us, the coolant (with a by-pass coolant filter). However, the P/S fluid never gets changed or filtered... until now!!!

While searching the internet, I came accross the Magnefine tranny & P/S fluid filter. I called the company to learn more about it and that Ford uses this filter on rebuilt transmissions (certain applications)... but if good enough for Ford... good enough for me (I only installed the P/S filter). The filter is a in-line "full-flow" filter with a safety by-pass valve built in.

Here are the web links:

Main Magnefine Website (Austrailian Company):
http://www.magnefine.com/

Here is the US division/Distributor of Magnefine - Boss Products (this is who I spoke to):
http://www.bossproductsusa.com/

Here are some of the sites that sell their filter:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=inline-filter

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/Store/ad...efine&osCsid=b6b51071c1275944932ea22921c3ff06

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-12858_power_steering_magnetic_filter_kit.htm

http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

There are three filter fitting sizes 1/2", 3/8" and 5/16".

Check your model year vehicle, but my 2003 took the 3/8" fittings and worked great. The filter has a magnet and filter media to really clean the fluid and stop any metal bits that may be present in the fluid. It is built very well (rugged) and is a good value for the money. The P/S filter comes with two clamps and hooked right up.

When looking at the power-steering resorvoir on an Excursion or Super Duty truck, there are three low-pressure return hoses that conect to the P/S resorvoir tank. All are return lines... one is from the P/S gear box, one from the hydraboost/master brake cylinder and a larger line I am not sure of.

The two options you have is either splicing into the return lines from the steering box or hydraboost. I wanted to use the gear box line, but space was too tight and the filter would rub against the larger return line connected to the resorvoir. I chose to go with the return line from the hydraboost as it is easier to get at and work with. As well, if I made a mistake, I could go to my local auto parts store and buy 12" of 3/8" hose and be back to stock (can do so at any time).

My post below has pictures and descriptions for your viewing pleasure... enjoy...smiliegitrdone

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Below are the installation pictures I took today (3/1/08).

I believe these to be the first installation pictures uploaded to any Ford truck site to date (or at least I have yet to fiind any when I was searching for information on the Magnefine P/S filter).

I think you will agree that this is a quality filter that is easy to install... along with being very resonably priced ($26.75 or less)!!!!

Tools and supplies needed:

1) Two qts of P/S fluid (check you manual).
(Tank hold 1 qt, but I wanted to be safe)

2) Sharp knife to cut hydraboost return line.

3) Turkey baster bulb to suck out fluid from tank.
(I sucked out the old fluid before installing - you may not want to)

4) Screwdriver or socket to tighten compression clamps

5) Paper towels - it will drip P/S fluid (if you did not suck the tank dry)

------------------------------------

Click on each photo to enlarge...

Both photos show the finished install into the hydraboost line.

Another shot of the install

Here are 3 low-pressure return lines into the P/S tank.

Showing the hydraboost line "S-Curve rubber hose

Filter is larger than I expected... as large as Coke can

Another shot compared to Coke Can

Image of filter right out of the box

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Excellent job Beach,

Looks to be an high quality unit. After the first change I am very interested to see the condition of the filter.

I was trying to figure out how to cut the casing open when I remove in 20,000 - 30,000 miles. Magnefine states yearly... so for most people that is about 20,000 - 30,000 miles (for me at least).

Keep in mind, I changed my P/S fluid last year (used 4 qts and exchanged 1 qt at a time over a few days worth of driving).

Today, before I installed the in-line P/S filter, I sucked out all fluid in the resorvoir and refilled with 1qt (just over 1qt) of fresh fluid.

I am assuming that any sediment or metal shavings are trapped in the lowest area of the P/S system and only circulate around when under pressure and fluid is flowing... so even with new fluid, I am wondering what I will filter out?

No matter what... I like the fact that this filter costs between $15.95 - 26.75/ea (depending on where you buy it), is easy to install and will do a good job!!! Even if it doesn't (have no reason to think it wouldn't), I would still use one. smiliegitrdone

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
If anyone is wondering, I spoke to a diesel tech today (Vince) and he stated that the hydraboost flows fluid all the time and is pressureized when the motor and P/S system is operating.

The main reason I went with the Hydraboost line, is that on a Ford Superduty it is easier to get to this line and there is no concern for the filter to rub against any other lines (things get very tight on these trucks).

Here is a list of features about the Magnefine Magnetic P/S Filter:
A strong Barium Ferrite Magnet captures 99.9% of the harmful metal particles while a 25 micron paper filter element captures dirt particles etc.

Integrated by-pass valve ensures oil flow even if the filter is plugged.

600 PSI burst pressure.

Must be installed on the low pressure RETURN line.

Filter kit includes filter and hose clamps.

The photos below show a cut-a-way view of the Magnefine filter and where or how it should be installed. Due to the Ford SuperDuty trucks having the Hydraboost system running of the same fluid and having the low-pressure return hose so accessible, was the reason I chose it.

Attachments

• Magnafine filter.jpg
  • magnefineinstallation.jpg
Last edited:

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Dang. Shoulda had you get two. I'm in OP tonight. I coulda swung out to your place in the am and we, yes we, coulda put one on mine while I'm in the area. :)

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Dang. Shoulda had you get two. I'm in OP tonight. I coulda swung out to your place in the am and we, yes we, coulda put one on mine while I'm in the area. :)

I have a few more coming later this week, but none right now.

I am sure if you order your own, you can install it in less than 30 minutes with my easy "step-by-step" instructions mentioned above.

Should have called and let me know... the wife is out of town and we could have had a beer together.... oh well... next time.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Wow... surprised that this thread has not generated any more interest than it has? I figured it may be of interest to many and even post links to this thread (in the 6.0L section) in 3 or 4 other forums (oil & lube, 6.4L and in two F-series forums) since this p/s fluid filter works on any car or truck.

Maybe I communicated enough information and installation tips that no one has any questions, but as far as mods go, I am a firm believer that this one is a cheap and easy mod to install and use (just like coolant filters) and should be at the top of users list of "to do mods"... at least if longevity of one's truck is a priority (like it is for me).

Oh well...

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
im wating to see your results. Like did it actually get anything out....
I was re-reading through my bronco graveyard magazine and they had several products from the company that makes that filter. One for oil (sandwich style) ps, transmission (looks very simple), the transmission one i dont know if it would work as the only lines living the tranny are hard metal lines....and it doesnt have a way to screw the filter in the line and then in the tranny.

But anyways. Let us know.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
im wating to see your results. Like did it actually get anything out....
I was re-reading through my bronco graveyard magazine and they had several products from the company that makes that filter. One for oil (sandwich style) ps, transmission (looks very simple), the transmission one i dont know if it would work as the only lines living the tranny are hard metal lines....and it doesnt have a way to screw the filter in the line and then in the tranny.

But anyways. Let us know.

The tranny filter is the same filter but with different line connections. Due to this it costs more than the P/S filter.

On one of the sites I mentioned above, they show a cut-open tranny filter with a lot of "junk" in it. Since Ford uses this filter as part of the service for installing a "rebuilt" transmission, I figure that it will work well enough for my P/S system.

Common sense states that there most be "stuff" in the P/S fluid just like any other fluid in our trucks? Why not filter it out for less than $25.00?

Heck, who ever thought a coolant filter was needed... but I think many have shown that it is beneficial.... and it costs way more money.

Why not spend $25.00 or less and know your cleaning out any sediment and/or metal shavings in the fluid? I am assuming the magnet will have slight particles just a good working transmission pan/magnet has stuck to it... a little bit is normal... a lot is not... but at least it was filtered out.

It will be several months before I swap it out and try cutting it open.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
i dont think i wanna see whats on the inside of my radiator.

Once upon a time i rigged up a cheap in line filter. With a clear housing. It was like red mud colored...Probably cuz its a junkyard rad.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
From the BOSS website, here is a photo or two...

http://www.bossproductsusa.com/products.html

Here is the photo of the "in-line" filter.

There is no mention if this was a cut-away for a P/S system or transmission fluid filter... but I assume it is all good to remove this "stuff" no matter where it came from.

The magnet is pretty good size and the filter media and by-pass valve is was well. I was surprised at the sixe and weight of this "in-line" filter when it was delivered last week. This is why I compared it to a Coke can so everyone could better understand the true size of this filter.
smiliegitrdone

Attachments

• dirty_mf_filter.jpg

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Just curious.... has anyone installed one of these since I posted my install photos and al the links about this P/S fluid filter?

Just curious if anyone found it usefull or cheap enough to try it themselves?

Was sort of surprised that more people have not tried or posted in this thread about using a P/S fluid filter. Funny how more people post about tuners, head gaskets, ARP studs, exhausts and the like... but a P/S fluid filter does not appear to be on many people's radar screens as far as mods go. (Just my observation).

Last edited:
I will be doing it, I just haven't yet...

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member

Kep4

Jäger
Nice write up Jeff, as usual.

I changed the PS fluid on my truck a few months back. I think the filter installation is an excellent idea and I'll do it when I change out the PS fluid again. Probably a late Spring "Super Duty weekend" project.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Nice write up Jeff, as usual.

I changed the PS fluid on my truck a few months back. I think the filter installation is an excellent idea and I'll do it when I change out the PS fluid again. Probably a late Spring "Super Duty weekend" project.

Thanks....

You could add without having to drain your P/S fluid. The resorvoir only holds 1QT or so... so for $5.00 or less, you could drain and refill with new fluid and add the filter... just a thought?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Cut Open P/S Filter - Get One Installed Now!!!!

Well, after 1 year and 24,700 miles, I changed out my P/S fluid filter.

After letting it drain dry, I cut it open with a saws-all and here is what I found.

1) Well made and very thick plastic (hacksaw was to slow, so uses a saws-all).

2) Inside components were a pleated filter with by-pass relief valve and magnet.

After cutting open, I was not sure what was plastic from my cutting open and what was metal shavings? I wiped off the magnet and then put the magnet back onto the papertowel as to attract what was metal.... and low and behold... there were metal shavings/dust just like when you do a tranny service and clean off the bottom of the tranny pan!!!

For the cost and ease of install... I recommend the Magnefine P/S filter for the peace of mind and extra protection it gives.

What did I do:

1) Have new P/S fluid filter handy.

2) Buy 1 qt of Mercon/Mercon V transmission fluid (this is what my truck uses).

3) Using an old turkey baster, suck out the P/S resorvoir (1 qt).

4) Loosen worm-drive clamps holding P/S filter and replace with new one.

5) Refill P/S resorvoir with 1qt of P/S fluid (do not overfill).

6) Start truck and allow to cycle and then re-check level.

----------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind that I flushed my P/S system before I installed this first filter... and look what it got out (yes, there are bits of sawed plastic on the magnet...but you get the idea... it works!!!!

Here are some pictures:

Dscn1870.jpg

Dscn1877.jpg

Dscn1872.jpg

The Ford part number is: XC3Z-7B155-BA (3/8" nipple connections).

Can also be found on the internet under the Magnefine brand name for less money (I am assuming).

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Here is how I installed my in-line P/S fluid filter (Magnefine brand filter).

1) Suck out the p/s fluid resorvoir with an old turkey baster (it holds 1 qt).

2) When empty, cut the low-pressure return line from the brake hydraboost and install the in-line filter with two clamps.

3) Refill resorvoir with fresh fluid (1qt).

4) Start motor and apply brakes to ensure fluid is being moved through the system.

5) Stop motor, check to ensure proper level of fluid and no leaks.

Here are before and after pictures of my install last year.

THE MAGNEFINE P/S FILTER IS THE SIZE OF A COKE CAN:
FilterSizeComparison-1.jpg

HERE IS A SHOT OF THE P/S RESORVOIR (YOU WANT THE "S CURCED" LINE ON THE TOP (AS YOU VIEW THE PHOTO):
HydraBoostLine-BeforeInstallation.jpg

HERE IS THE INSTALLED MAGNEFINE BRAND P/S FILTER:
InstalledFilter-HydraboostLine.jpg

This mod will only protect your power-steering system and since it has a by-pass valve in the filter, even if it got clogged, you would never loose steering control or brake/hydraboost.

Enjoy.....

Ford Truck Articles