Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 f250 351W exhaust question

i just put a 351W in my 79 f250 4x4 with a 4spd. im having trouble finding headers to fit. i have a set of longtubes that i believe are flowtechs, they worked well with this engine when it was in my 88 Bronco but they come to close to the trans crossmember on this truck to get exhaust on it. I also bought a set of foxbody shorty headers and they interfere with the clutch linkage on the drivers side.

If ya'll have any suggestions as to what headers to use or some pics of your exhaust/header set ups it would be appreciated. i really hate to run manifolds on this engine as it has had some work done to it. thanks for any inputsmilieFordlogo

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
im not seeing a header listing for the 79 f250 4x4 with a 351w..only the 351m.{summit catalog}might want to give em a call & see who offers one.im sure others more in the know will chime in.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
The 351W never came in these trucks from the factory, so you may have to get creative with a little fab work to make headers fit with this engine. I'm betting nobody produces anything for this set up, since it is not a factory application.

Check with the manufacturers ONLINE application chart

I can't remember if the 302 share the same bolt pattern as the windsor.

Fellro

Staff member
WIndsor and 302 heads share the same bolt up pattern. Bolted 302 headers on a 351W in a Fox body way back... With the taller deck height, it put the headers closer to the frame.

i just put a 351W in my 79 f250 4x4 with a 4spd. im having trouble finding headers to fit. i have a set of longtubes that i believe are flowtechs, they worked well with this engine when it was in my 88 Bronco but they come to close to the trans crossmember on this truck to get exhaust on it. I also bought a set of foxbody shorty headers and they interfere with the clutch linkage on the drivers side.

If ya'll have any suggestions as to what headers to use or some pics of your exhaust/header set ups it would be appreciated. i really hate to run manifolds on this engine as it has had some work done to it. thanks for any inputsmilieFordlogo

I am not clear on what you mean here, as the headers do not determine the exhaust clearance at the crossmember for the transmission, the exhaust pipes themselves do. If this is the only issue, re-route the pipes.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles