Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gauge Problem

I have a 1977 F150 6cylinder. The plastic part behind dash cluster is pretty much gone. None of my lights work although once I a while I catch a faint glimpse of a signal blinking. Obviously I need that part and others have posted to me before concerning thst issue. What I want to know is if this part is also related to the speedometer and odometer not working as well. Also my fuel and temperature gauges work intermittently...sometimes way past the far right line and sometimes fairly accurate in unison. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions if all these are related the plastic cluster backing or something like a voltage regulator. I know thst part is available for around $75.00. Thanks.

Installed One Today

Purchased one from LMC last week and installed it today for the same reason. All lights now work and the amp meter started working again my odometer worked but set at an angle now sets correct. Very satisfied with it.

Thank you. Looks like most of my issues are related. I guess speedometer must be separate. Also I cannot remove the knob on my headlight switch. How did you remove knobs...the windshield wiper was already off when I got truck. Thanks again.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Removing the headlight knob involves reaching underneath the dash and up above the headlight switch, then pressing a button on top of the switch while pulling the knob and shaft out of the switch. It helps if you are a contortionist. :D

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Your speedometer issue could be related to the dash cluster housing falling apart if it has deteriorated so much that the cable won't stay connected to the speedometer.

I replaced mine last year and now everything in the cluster works great, at least as well as it will for the design. Seriously thinking about getting brighter LED bulbs for better visibility at night.

Thank you both. Good advice. It is pretty chilly here and I have to work outside so may have to wait on repairs. The dash back part looks like a necessity now. I seldom drive the truck but recent car problems put it on the road. Found out it doesn't like snowy roads.��

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Hopefully it will warm up soon and you can replace it.

I took that time to freshen up the gauges, cleaned them up and painted the needle on the speedometer. Looks pretty nice now.

Thanks Russell. If I did all that, it would look better than the rest of truck. It needs body work and other things out of my reach now. I have it running pretty decent though.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I have a 1977 F150 6cylinder. The plastic [confused] part behind dash cluster (cluster back) is pretty much gone.
1975/79 F100/350; 1975/80 Econoline; 1978/79 Bronco:

The instrument cluster backs were made of a composition material that can TURN TO DUST before your very eyes!

1981: FoMoCo introduced hard plastic cluster backs for Econolines. These were also the "service part replacements" for the POS cluster backs used 1975/80.

There are TWO different types, Carpenter has both of them NOS

E1PZ-10848-A .. Hard Plastic Cluster Back-Use with Oil/Amp GAUGES / Obsolete

1981/91 Econoline; retrofit: 1975/79 F100/350; 1975/80 Econoline; 1978/79 Bronco.
-----
E1PZ-10848-B .. Hard Plastic Cluster Back-Use with Oil/Amp WARNING LAMPS / Obsolete

1981/86 Econoline; retrofit: 1975/79 F100/350; 1975/80 Econoline; 1978/79 Bronco.

Thank you Bill. After looking at mine, that "turn to dust" is pretty much what is going on with mine. Not sure which one I need. There are a fuel gauge and temperature gauge - both work occasionally from whst I can tell. I am assuming the turn sugnals, high beam light, alternator light, oil light and brake light are there somewhere. Before I looked at it I could see one signal bulb working and the high beam bulb working. I think the odometer and speedometer worked at one time as well. I thought it just needed bulbs but I see it is more the crumbling cluster back part. Thanks again.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Dennis Carpenter lists two cluster backing plates.

E1PZ-10848-A Is for clusters with oil pressure and amp gauges

E1PZ-10848-B Is for clusters with warning lights for oil pressure and alternator.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Dennis Carpenter lists two cluster backing plates.

E1PZ-10848-A Is for clusters with oil pressure and amp gauges

E1PZ-10848-B Is for clusters with warning lights for oil pressure and alternator.
I listed both these part numbers in post #10, listed their descriptions and said Carpenter had both.

Ford Truck Articles