Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need help IDing fuel tank parts!!! 94 F350

I have a '94 non-turbo 7.3 F350. I need to identify the unit that screws into the rear plastic fuel tank that houses the fuel level sending unit and the fuel pickup/strainer. I've searched all over the net, and the only thing I find are just the sending units. The sending unit has failed, and when I removed the two tube unit, the strainer and the little diaphragm literally crumbled. The truck won't run without the strainer/diaphragm unit. What the heck does it do? I sure could use some part numbers. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Dave,
I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately, my daughter has my digital camera and won't be home until tommorow evening. The piece in question is mounted on top of the rear, plastic tank. There's a hard plastic, threaded donut that secures/seals a round, metal plate to the tank. Fuel and vent hoses attach to the outer side of the plate. The plate is pierced by two metal tubes and a couple of wires for the fuel level sending unit. The tubes appear to be (1) a vent of some sort, and (2) the fuel pickup, which had a cup-shaped plastic piece with a screen centered on the bottom of the tube. The diaphragm was in a small housing just above the plastic piece. This truck has a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the front of the motor, not an electric pump. I thought I had some water in the tank, so I unscrewed the donut to remove the plate to better access and clean the tank interior. (The truck is equipted with a dump flatbed which gives easy access.) Upon removing the piece in question, the plastic cup and diaphragm housing simply crumbled from old age. I thoroughly cleaned the tank, blew out the fuel line from the engine side, replaced the fuel pump and fuel/water seperator filter. The truck will run for a couple of minutes if I fill the fuel filter on the engine, but dies after that. The lines are clear, the pump is new, the filter is new, but the strainer and diaphragm are missing. I'm not a diesel guy, and at this point I'm lost. I'll have pics up as soon as possible. Not sure if it makes any difference, but this was fleet type truck, not a pickup. Very heavy suspension with the dump bed.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I think I know what your talking about and have seen them go bad usually the truck won't run with less than a 1/4 tank. Anyways if it's the part im thinking of it should come with a new pickup/sender assembly. If you get some pics put them up just so I can be sure of what im talking about.

its called a shower head. L M C TRUCK HAS THEM. IF YIU DONT REPLACE IT THE TRUCK WILL RUN OUT OF FUEL AT 1/4 TANK./ its really a fuel strainer once its installed it effectively lowers the suction port closer to the tank bottom. many of those shower heads desintigrate and break apart. the pieces lay in the tank bottom. if you have the tank down it makes sense to clean the tank out.most of the pieces are fairly large and won't suck up and get in the fuel system. i say this in the event you don't want to lower the tank. I've done it both ways.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Graverobber. :rofl:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Only took 8 years

Ford Truck Articles