Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Meet Big Brown

primetime

sawmill slave
Thought I`d post this up since there is`nt a lot going on these days and every little bit helps, right? Story post coming, but are`nt all of mine?? :rofl:

So. I`m never satisfied. I have a real problem with impulse control also. Y`all may or may not remember Big Blue, my 460 swapped, Dana 60 swapped 93 F250 that I built then drove a few years. I love that that truck. Still have it. But Northern Michigan is not kind to vehicles.

In 2016 I bought a 2004 cc/sb F250 with a 6 oh no because it was a good deal. But it was`nt the right truck. The crew cab was great for the room, but a short bed truck is a car with a big trunk as far as I`m concerned lol. And it`s just as long by itself as Big Blue with the plow attached. But I`d wanted to get back into a diesel for a long time, and it was a good deal.

Meanwhile I`ve been keeping an eye out for another truck. I wanted a regular cab. And because I`m an engine snob and don`t want no base engine, and I`m poor, I wanted a 05-10 V10, or an 05-07 6 oh no. I also prefer XLT trucks. And after using my stepdads new v plow, preferably with a v plow. Want much? Nope. :rofl:

So guess what you don`t see a lot of?

So back around March a dude posted on Craigslist a 2006 F350 regular cab. V10. V plow. XL, 4" lift. No thanks. Then he reposted it a couple weeks later. Aaaand I thought about it for a few days then called him (remember the hard to find part?). Did I mention it was on the other side of the state about 3 hours away? Big Blue was also, and did`nt have an engine. At least this one ran :rofl:

So the little woman and I jumped in her truck and bombed over to look at it. The next day I beat him up $500 on the price (cost to remove the lift kit) and went back to get it.

So here it is. Several months later lol.

SANY03961.JPG

SANY0398.JPG

SANY03971.JPG

So the tailpipe was in the back of truck and it had a glasspack that pointed up at the floor of the bed. Man that was a miserable 3 hour ride home. For those that don`t know, V10`s are loud and buzzy. Priority 1b, was dealing with the exhaust. 1a was figuring why I could`nt put fuel in it.

So. It`s a 2006 F350, XL with chrome package so it does`nt look like you were a cheap/broke fawker, it has most of what you need, V10, auto, upfitter switches, factory brake controller, cruise, air, tilt, FX4, and 4.10 gears. It also does`nt have stuff that I really like such as power windows and locks, power heated mirrors (man I miss those), carpet on the floor, and a good radio. Luckily for me the guy I got it from put an XLT seat in it, because like he said the factory seat sucked.

He also put a new engine in it. He bought it with 97,000 miles on it with a miss. It`d just had a tuneup (3V remember). He put new plugs and a couple coils on it, no change. Took it to the local Ford dealer and they figured out that pieces of the #1 intake valve were broken off. And quoted him $4800 to fix it. It was $6800 to do both heads while it was apart. They told him $5800 for a new long block. That`s the route he took. Receipts are still in the glove box.

I`ll post some more later. Ninja tired

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Nice bit of history
Welcome back!
I have a v10 in my 06 e450. That truck will rock. Loaded or empty, she dont care.
Keep an eye open for gas stations tho.
Mine has a 4.56 rear, so at 70 mph you can watch the gas gauge move even with the torque 5 trans

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

primetime

sawmill slave
Thanks guys. It is a good looking truck. It gets a lot of compliments I can`t take credit for. The color is kind of unique. A lot of people mistake it for gray. I did when I first rolled up on it.

Charlie. Yep, the 3V V10s are no slouches. it`s very responsive off the get. I`ve towed 14,000 lbs with it and I thought it did just fine. Mileage? Well, I haven`t checked that really. We don`t buy one ton trucks with the big gas engine for their fuel efficiency though, do we? It did get 9.5 on a 200 mile Thanksgiving Day cannonball ball run to rescue my uncles V8 Durango that broke down 100 miles from home. I didn`t think that was too bad. it was a harder pill to swallow than I thought it would be going from my 6 leakers 18 mpg back to 10-12. And inspite of the weight disadvantage, the 6 oh no feels faster and is a little more fun to drive if you are into sliding them around corners on occasion.

So how about some more pics? We all love pics.
thumbnail_10_.jpg

Sitting at work the morning after I got it home.

thumbnail_9_.jpg

A load of hard maple slab cut offs from work. Stuff that was too big to fit in the chipper. I love that I can take this truck out into the woods and put two face cord of hardwood in the back and it doesn`t faze it.

I`m not too sure about the exhaust sound though. Nothing beats a V8 as far as I`m concerned. It did sound pretty wicked though with the Dynomax Race Magnum and 3 1/2" tailpipe with 14,000 lbs behind it.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thanks guys. It is a good looking truck. It gets a lot of compliments I can`t take credit for. The color is kind of unique. A lot of people mistake it for gray. I did when I first rolled up on it.

I've always liked that brown.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Our 06 f 150 crew is that color. It's amazing how many people call it gray...
I love the color!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

primetime

sawmill slave
It sparkles quite nicely in the sun when it`s clean. Hard to keep it clean living and working on a gravel road, but I can`t stand white trucks either, so. Gotta give up something.

primetime

sawmill slave
A few mornings last week it was making a banging noise moving after sitting. I figured it was the just calipers freezing up due to the mild winter we`ve been having. Then I noticed a grinding while stepping on the brakes at a stop sign Saturday in town. Sure enough the inside pad on the left rear was down to bare metal and chewing up the rotor.

Did I mention I put new calipers, pads, and rotors on the rear in July? And that it was after the parts store I get a discount at in town was closed?

Tore it apart Sunday morning, caliper is fine, brake hose is fine, cannonball 20 miles to the next town over to get a rotor and a set of pads. I had the stuff for the oil change it was due for and did that as well. Stepdaughters car got an oil change also. All that and some other stuff shot my first day off in three weeks in the tush lol.

We also got 6" of snow dumped on us Sunday, so Monday after work it plowed three drives plus ours.

primetime

sawmill slave
I checked the fuel mileage just for grins. Keep in mind I leave the hubs locked and the plow on. The plow is knocking on 1,000 lbs door, plus there is 500 lbs in the bed for ballast. One tank with no plowing was 8.4, the next with plowing was 7.9. It warms up for maybe 5 minutes in the morning leaving for work, and I`m not in the habit of leaving stuff idle outside stores unless it`s 10 degrees or below.

That`s a solid 1.5 better then Big Blue. Big Blue also had the dubious honor of achieving 3.6 MPG during a snow event that dropped about 10" on us several years ago lol.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Nice truck man. My work truck at my old job was a V10... really came to like it. And if you drove it nice it would get 11-12mpg highway which I thought was pretty good for a one ton crew cab

primetime

sawmill slave
3.6 MPG ?!! I think RV's get better than that ;)

Gotta remember it was 10" of snow, Blue never came out of 4x4, and Blue is a 460 C6 4.10 truck with an 8' Western straight blade hanging off the front. And plowing is demanding work. A lot of slow speed, back and forth, not a lot of miles traveled for the fuel consumed type work. Blue was usually around 6.5-7 in the same driving conditions, 9.5-10 in the summer. I saw 10.96 once lol.

primetime

sawmill slave
Nice truck man. My work truck at my old job was a V10... really came to like it. And if you drove it nice it would get 11-12mpg highway which I thought was pretty good for a one ton crew cab

Yeah, I really like this V10. Very torquey right off the line, handled 14,000 lbs well I thought, even my buddy who has a deleted 2012 Cummins Dodge and was following me at the time said it seemed to do well getting that load up to 60 mph. And I was only giving it about 3/4 throttle.

In other news it shat out the trans fluid temp sensor which has resulted in very hard shifts and not going beyond 3rd gear. So it`s going to get upgraded to the 08-10 in pan filter and trans pan. Gonna have a local guy I trust do it because it doesn`t fit in the garage and I flat out don`t feel like doing it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nice to see you back Justin....and nice truck!

primetime

sawmill slave
Thanks Duncan. Nice to see you around also.

I used it to get some firewood in today and while walking around the front with the left wing of the plow extended out I noticed the pin that allows the blade to trip was trying to flee the scene. Explains the weird movement I`ve been seeing. So I set about trying to get it back in. About the time my rock bar slipped and I went ass over tea kettle with the rock bar landing on my left thigh I decided I might be better off hooking a ratchet strap to the right side wing and one of the tow hooks on the stealth bomber. Worked a lot better and I managed to drive the pin back in. Nosed it up to the garage and welded a tab to the pin so it can`t walk back out. I used the old Miller Thunderbolt for that. It`s been a while since I did any stick welding.

Then I used it clear the drifted snow at the end of the drive. It`s still not fixed, but it seems if I don`t shut it off after it starts blaring that somethings wrong, it doesn`t go into full stupid mode.

primetime

sawmill slave
What's snow? :p

White diarrhea that falls from the sky at any given time between the months of October thru April. :rolling laugh:

But it does`nt matter where you go. Every place has an something to deal with. Something that wants to stick you, sting you or kill you. Tornados, hurricanes, forest fires, floods, snow, illegal aliens. Pick your poison I guess. :)

primetime

sawmill slave
Not gonna lie, it spends more time being wasted as a daily driver, but it does get to do real truck stuff, and it`s firewood season.

SANY03978.JPG

SANY03967.JPG

There`s a little over two face cord of hardwood in there. We did that 6 times starting Labor Day weekend. My buddy and I go deep in the woods because that`s where you have to go to find the good stuff. And sometimes the going is rough. If I`d known the trail my buddy was gonna take us down the first trip I would`ve taken the camera. It was rough. His one ton Chevy was dragging hard on the way out.

My plow mount leveled it off for him on the way in though :rofl:

And yeah, it needs new crossmembers under the box.

Ford Truck Articles