Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My Ford project. Sigh............

As I stated in the introductions, A friend talked me into getting this truck. Some friend! 1st off, the engine runs excellent. That is a start as I am not a mechanic. But as you can see, she has a wee bit of a frame issue, among other things, We will be starting with the frame.

Have a couple questions before I get started on this though. Need some Ford know how.

1st I have factory 2 fuel tanks. I want to drop the front tank for the time being while I do some frame work. The question is, are the tanks connected with a return line if I am running off of the rear tank. I will have the in cab switch set on the rear tank, Just drop the tank and cap the lines? Or is there something else I have to do?

Attachments

• ford 002.jpg
  • ford 003.jpg
  • ford 004.jpg
  • ford 005.jpg
  • ford 006.jpg
Here are some more of the frame. I went to a local junkyard a acquired 2 sections of bus frame to use for this repair. Not bad for 20.00 bucks. :)

Attachments

• ford thread 1 004.jpg
  • ford thread 1 003.jpg
  • ford thread 1 002.jpg
  • ford thread 1 001.jpg
  • ford thread 1 006.jpg

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I know there were some variations in valving between the tanks in those years but I think if you cap your lines and leave the selector on your other tank you should be ok.

And holy hell... That is some rust! Whereabouts are you from to get that kind of rust? Guessing northeast or upper midwest?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Man I'm not sure that's a good footing for a 'project.'

Ryan

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I agree with Frank on the lines. I will never ***** about rust here after seeing that! :drop:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Wow. I would get a whole frame to set the body on.
Not sure I would patch a bunch of pieces of frame together

I will find out just how bad the frame is. I all felt along it and it seems to be in just those 2 areas. One on each side. I plan on cutting the donor sections down to fit inside as a liner. I think it will work ok.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You going to use something like POR15 on the frame?

You going to use something like POR15 on the frame?

First I am going to tac a plate to the outside of them frame after I level it up a bit. Then I can pull the body off to make life easier. After it is stripped I will needle scale it and see where I stand. Go from there. definitely going to do something when I am done. Por15, Naval jelly, something.

This was a plow truck. It was parked in a yard most of the time. That's why the frame is so bad.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I haven't heard of Naval Jelly in a long time :D

Plow truck would sure explain that!

One of the guys here did the same sort of thing with an ex plow truck, it worked out well for him.

First I am going to tac a plate to the outside of them frame after I level it up a bit. Then I can pull the body off to make life easier. After it is stripped I will needle scale it and see where I stand. Go from there. definitely going to do something when I am done. Por15, Naval jelly, something.

This was a plow truck. It was parked in a yard most of the time. That's why the frame is so bad.

what are your plans for this truck? aside from the rust, the abuse and shock loads plow trucks get play hell on the frames.

what are your plans for this truck? aside from the rust, the abuse and shock loads plow trucks get play hell on the frames.

Drive it !!

I know what you are alluding to, But she runs so sweet and the cab is really clean and the clutch feels nice and tight. After 30 years of being in the welding industry, I have seen what plowing can do to a truck. I drove it up onto the roll back when I brought it home. Drove it off too. I think she will be ok as a daily driver in the winter.

To me, the hardest part is going to be replacing the radiator support. That's trash, Where is a good place to get a aftermarket one. Rock auto is some thing like 165.00.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Man if you were in PA . I'm going to pull trans out of my 95 to put in my 94 . Frames good all new hangers . It will probably be scrapped . No one wants whole trucks any more now that we have u pull

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
That frame looks like you came from my area. That is how most of that eras frames look around here. The treatments they use on the roads make so you can't have nice things.

I've seen the repair you are attempting done may times. my advice is take a air scaler and hit the frame to get rid of the rust and scale. where ear plugs and muffs as it so loud it will be deafening.
Then take a punch chisel and test the frame all over for weak/thin spots. then patch or replace the entire frame depending on the severity of the damage.

Por15 is good stuff and lasts and lasts. once you have it fixed up slap the por to it.

Man if you were in PA . I'm going to pull trans out of my 95 to put in my 94 . Frames good all new hangers . It will probably be scrapped . No one wants whole trucks any more now that we have u pull

Where are you at in Pa? I live 5 minutes from PA. 5 hours from the southwest corner, lol, so it might be worth the trip. Are the frames the same?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Try Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, and also try Dennis Carpenter Reproductions and LMC Truck for your core support and other parts you might need along the way, and also check your local salvage yards and eBay as well. Hope this helpful to you. smiliegitrdonesmilieFordlogo

Drive it !!

I know what you are alluding to, But she runs so sweet and the cab is really clean and the clutch feels nice and tight. After 30 years of being in the welding industry, I have seen what plowing can do to a truck. I drove it up onto the roll back when I brought it home. Drove it off too. I think she will be ok as a daily driver in the winter.

To me, the hardest part is going to be replacing the radiator support. That's trash, Where is a good place to get a aftermarket one. Rock auto is some thing like 165.00.

i wish you the best of luck! i dont know if this is can be done on light dutys, and i cant find any pictures off it being done. when i worked for a Kenworth dealership some guys would support the cab, engine, trans etc on jack stands and remove one frame rail at a time to fab double frame inserts. you might be able to the the same thing and either repair or replace the frame rails. just a long shot crazy idea

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Where are you at in Pa? I live 5 minutes from PA. 5 hours from the southwest corner, lol, so it might be worth the trip. Are the frames the same?

Front frame bumper mount is different . I'd Be Almost 4+ hrs from ya

Ford Truck Articles