Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help identify rear end in 1950 F1 project

I'm needing to lose the granny gears and need help. Thetruck has been hot rodded many years ago... chevy 327 and power glide. Not clear about the rear end.

Thanks!
2b66fe1cc24f095d1038315f6de3b7b5.jpg
7ac55d9b006a94071af277368d18cc29.jpg

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Just at first glance, I'm guessing 8".... it's Ford's lighter version of the 9" that was used in Mustangs and Mavericks during the same time period (60's)

Check the case for numbers around the oval on the back. 8" are also durable and a good substitute for the original.

Just at first glance, I'm guessing 8".... it's Ford's lighter version of the 9" that was used in Mustangs and Mavericks during the same time period (60's)

Check the case for numbers around the oval on the back. 8" are also durable and a good substitute for the original.
Will do. Thanks for the response!

Fellro

Staff member
Late 60'\s, no. Early 60's, maybe. The weld tab that looks to still be there at the top on the back makes it a definite possibility. The suspension would have attached there. The lack of ribbing on the differential carrier is the thing that is throwing me off. May even be 50's.

Everything I am finding on the GM axles show a GM cast onto the carrier housing. Also, I am seeing that the 8" and 9" axles also had bolt out pinions, while the GM's did not, which again leans me towards this being a 50's - early 60's GM axle. No newer than 64 though.

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Looks a whole lot like a 1955 (56, 57, others) Chevy BelAir rear end to me.

Late 60'\s, no. Early 60's, maybe. The weld tab that looks to still be there at the top on the back makes it a definite possibility. The suspension would have attached there. The lack of ribbing on the differential carrier is the thing that is throwing me off. May even be 50's.

Everything I am finding on the GM axles show a GM cast onto the carrier housing. Also, I am seeing that the 8" and 9" axles also had bolt out pinions, while the GM's did not, which again leans me towards this being a 50's - early 60's GM axle. No newer than 64 though.
Is it worth working with? I need to gear up.

Fellro

Staff member

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
8" looks just like a 9" but you can't get a socket on the bolt under the pumpkin in the 9"
That is NOT a 8"
Looks like early mopar ( Dana), uses the same wheel bolt pattern as 8"

If I were going to make changes, I'd find a late model Explorer, and changer the whole unit.
probably cost about the same amount of money when you are all done

Last edited:
8" looks just like a 9" but you can't get a socket on the bolt under the pumpkin in the 9"
That is NOT a 8"
Looks like early mopar ( Dana), uses the same wheel bolt pattern as 8"

If I were going to make changes, I'd find a late model Explorer, and changer the whole unit.
probably cost about the same amount of money when you are all done
Looks like that's what I'll be doing.

Thanks!

Fellro

Staff member
It also allows you to upgrade to disc rear on the cheap if you so choose.

Ford Truck Articles