Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Help with a part number?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So I tried contacting Bill (bkw) the master of part numbers but he's not answering my PM... Haven't seen him on the site in a while either, hopefully he's okay.

Anyways... I've been wanting to swap my 95amp for a 130amp alternator. The 130amp can be found in Taurus', Explorers, Powerstrokes, etc.

So here's the strange thing... For these alternators there were 3 different mounting styles:

3Galternator24.gif

Now my truck is SUPPOSED to have a pivot mount, but it has a side mount alternator. So I looked into it, and the side mount is the one used in powerstrokes, and I happen to know that the powerstroke does not use a 95amp alternator. So I grabbed the part number off the voltage regulator (the only part number anywhere on the alternator) and headed over to google. And came up with jack :headbang: Here's the part number:

dsc01748largeqi6.jpg

F5DU-10316-AA

From what I've read-- the first 4 characters just indicate when/where it was made, while the remainder is what actually constitutes which part it is. The best lead that I found was on TheDieselStop where a guy with a PSD says his alternator went bad, same part number as mine. But he never indicates whether or not it's stock, what the amperage is, etc.

(5th post down) http://www.thedieselstop.com/archiv...598&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1.htm

Anyways, I'm curious what the hell this thing is!! 130amp or 95amp? Doesn't make sense for it to be 130amp since they didn't use them in F150s and I don't have a record of it being changed (prev owner gave me records for every last spark plug).

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Chances are it is a 95 amp. Mine is a side mount the same as yours and not only will side mount alternators from a powerstroke work but also alternators from 3.0L/4.0L Rangers and 4.2L V6 engines are a side-mount style as well. I'm sure there's a way to find out the amperage (whether 95 or 130) from the case/voltage regulator but I'm not sure how to tell.

I will say this as an option. I had gotten a "130 amp" rebuilt alternator off of ebay that came from a 99 Ranger and put it on my truck along with a bigger charge cable with in-line fuse. It worked pretty well for a few weeks till it started squealing real bad. By bad I mean I had dogs howling at my truck as I drove by bad. So I put the old one back in and took the "rebuilt" to a shop to have taken apart to see what was wrong. Long story short it tested as a 95amp, the ground points inside the case were painted over, and... it had a chevy bearing in it that was the source of the squeal.

The guy who had it went ahead and fixed everything on it and essentially rebuilt it the right way. He told me when he rebuilt the alternator he used all new parts and bench tested it before he gave it back. Long story short for $40 I now own a 200amp alternator. Until I get a bigger charge cable and bigger mega fuse it's not going back in just to be safe.

Ok I ranted a little off topic but if you can find a starter/alternator shop in your area you might just ask them how much to rebuild it and see if the price is right. OR... you could send yours to me and I'll have the same guy rebuild it that rebuilt mine. :D

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I wouldn't buy an eBay special, for exactly that reason. I'm looking at getting one from a junker and removing the regulator to check the accumulator before I leave the lot (as per Robert's advice).

As for your 200amp alternator... You might want to rethink using it. I'm no expert on the subject, but I just read this last night:

http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=33

That site is owned by the same guy that operates FordFuelInjection.com, which is an extremely reputable Ford information website. I'm not saying he knows everything, but I do read very closely when I'm reading on his sites.

Bill appears to be fine (he posted today...err..umm....yesterday elsewhere). He does not usually turn on his E-mail or PMs on any site. He gets buried daily, if he does. I think you can see how that would happen. :wavey:

He does not usually just cruise this forum...mostly the older ones around here.

I do have his personal E-mail address. I try not to bug him too much. (laughing).

If you can't solve this in a day or two...remind me and I will contact him for you. I am very forgfetful in my old age (getting older every day). :(

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hey Brian I'm actually planning on going to the junkyard tomorrow morning so I know it's short notice but perhaps he could respond before I leave tomorrow and let me know. Would you mind emailing him and linking to this thread?

:redface: I stand corrected again (by Bill), his PMs are not turned off over here.

He also thinks that you can E-mail him over here. He will check.

Chris: He received the message from you. I quote:

all I got from that was the alternator regulator engineering ID number, which isn't any help.

You might check with Dennis or someone and see what they can find.

Personally, I have only replaced one alternator in my life. Two if you count one of the totalled cars that the case was cracked on. Both were stock replacements.

I don't know if it's so any more, but the p/n's for Ford alternators used to be stamped into the side of the case.

You would have the p/n followed by (for example) 55a - meaning 55amp.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I don't know if it's so any more, but the p/n's for Ford alternators used to be stamped into the side of the case.

You would have the p/n followed by (for example) 55a - meaning 55amp.
Oh yeah? I looked at all the parts of the case that I could see without removing the alternator. I'll have to look again. Thanks Steve.

Why is bill so angry with me? Couldn't even respond to my pm?

Who said anything about angry? If he does not know...he does not know.

Maybe he was busy at the time and forgot later?

I am guilty of that many times.

Stuff happens.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hm, just the way that he worded that response to you, coupled with the fact that he didn't respond to my PM, made it sound like he was angry. Oh well.

Went to the Pick-n-Pull and came up with SQUAT! The vast majority of the Taurus' (and related Merc's, T-birds, etc) had 3.0L engines and hence the wrong alternator. The few 3.8L's that I did find had swivel mount alternators :headbang:

Looked at the Rangers and they were all external fan alternators (the older style before the 3G). The only vehicles that I could find with the side mount 3G alternator were some older V6 Explorers, but the part numbers on the regulars matched the part number on my regulator... So either the explorers have 130amp alternators and so do I, or we've both got 95amp alternators :headbang:

Also found the side mount alternators in some older Ford vans. Pulled one (it was a bit harder to get to it due to the small engine compartment) and after all the work, the regulator part number matched mine again :headbang:

So I left empty handed :( Trista did get some fun pics though so I'll post those in a thread later tonight YelloThumbUp

If any of y'all happen upon a side mount 130amp alternator at the junk yard (in seemingly good shape), pull the regulator and check the prongs for wear. If it looks okay then I'll

radialarm

Clown of Death!
OK! Check here
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=75

There is some info about 95a= 135mm, 5 1/8"
130a=148mm, 5 5/8"
these are case dia. same size as pivot mount

Found 97-04, F150, 4.2l, 130a, 5 5/8" case dia. side mount

You should be able to do it same way I did, measure case dia. It is easy to spot but take a ruler. regulator #s could be the same between 95 & 130

Last edited:
Hm, just the way that he worded that response to you, coupled with the fact that he didn't respond to my PM, made it sound like he was angry. Oh well...........

..............The only vehicles that I could find with the side mount 3G alternator were some older V6 Explorers, but the part numbers on the regulars matched the part number on my regulator... So either the explorers have 130amp alternators and so do I, or we've both got 95amp alternators :headbang:

Chris. That quote was cut out of a whole E-mail he replied to me about. Most of the E-mail was not involving the alternator, but some other stuff. We chat about stuff a lot of the times when we E-mail back and forth.

This is a secret: He claims to be grumpy, but he really is a nice guy. Shhhh! Don't let that get out or anything. Don't want to blow his cover. smiliestirthepot

I just posted the relevent part to what you were asking.

I doubt it would help at all, but I have a 2001 explorer with a 4.0 SOHC. Would any numbers off that help?

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Chris,

The part number on the voltage regulator is not going to tell you the part number or type the alternator is.

IIRC the side mount alternator was available in both 95 & 130A. Did you try your local auto parts. They should be able to get either one. General rule of thumb is get the biggest one they make that fits.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
IIRC the side mount alternator was available in both 95 & 130A. Did you try your local auto parts. They should be able to get either one. General rule of thumb is get the biggest one they make that fits.
Yeah it's starting to look like (through my research) the the 95amp was also offered in side-mount. And yeah I can get them new but I'd like to get one from the junkyard that's in decent condition (inside and out).

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Skan 95, 130, & 200 amps also come in side mount all info is on FFI

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I've checked the pile of alternators in my garage and none of them have part #s on the case anywhere. The case diameters is the only way I know to tell the difference.

Ford Truck Articles