Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hi boy power steering questions

I've seen a bunch of guys do the power steering swap on these trucks. I always see them talk about which gear box works but never see a lot about the pump. Are people using the power assist pump? Is that even possible? I'm looking at going with a box from a 78/79 4wd (still looking for one btw if anyone is selling)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Power steering pumps are one thing Ford was never that great at. If you want a good upgrade I'd go with the GM style Saginaw pump. I think Left Eye Blind racing makes a bracket, plus they're a site sponsor. May want to check them out. Otherwise I think most of the Ford pumps are all about the same.

Power steering pumps are one thing Ford was never that great at. If you want a good upgrade I'd go with the GM style Saginaw pump. I think Left Eye Blind racing makes a bracket, plus they're a site sponsor. May want to check them out. Otherwise I think most of the Ford pumps are all about the same.

They make them for a 460 but not a 390. My truck already needs a bit of fab work so adding ps brackets to the to do list isn't out of the question.

Looking at the Saginaw pumps they say "set up for gm pressure" does that matter? There's one on cj pony parts that says "setup for mustang pressure"

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1967/77 Ford/Thompson P/S pumps have a steel reservoir, the P/S pressure hose threads onto the pump.

1978 and later Ford C-II P/S pumps have a plastic reservoir, the P/S pressure hose connects to the pump w/a qwik connect fitting.

Because the C-II P/S pump is a different shape than the Ford/Thompson P/S pump, the mounting brackets are different.

ALL 1975 and later Econolines use the Saginaw P/S pump, as do 1972/79 FoMoCo Passenger Cars with Hydro-Boost.

1973 was the first year that F100/250 4WD's were available with A/T and P/S

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles