Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Short term energy solution

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Now that you mention that, I kind of recall those kind of issues.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That's some pretty exciting info there Lester. Question being, if it does catch on...how long before those prices are raised for profits and taxed to death.

And per your last couple of statements, are you saying it's not exactly an optimal set up for a carb'd rig????

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Ben, you bring up some good questions.

We have a glut of it right now and its cheaper to sell it where it's being produced for local consumption than it is to ship it across the country and or store it in the ground until peak demand.

Carbs are really not an issue, they just need to be maintained. They are alot like a Holley in many reguards. Backfire it once, change the diapragm. (powervalve on a holley) Impco has everything needed to fine tune one. Problem is not many people understand natrual gas or propane in reguards to tuning.

Carbs are really not an issue, they just need to be maintained. They are alot like a Holley in many reguards. Backfire it once, change the diapragm. (powervalve on a holley) Impco has everything needed to fine tune one. Problem is not many people understand natrual gas or propane in reguards to tuning.[/QUOTE]

From what i remember talking to the mechanic that was running the council vehicles on cng his main point was that when converting the utes which were toyota hiluxs (22r engines) the best response gained was when you made them dedicated nat gas vehicles - i had a 1970 rambler rebel with a 304 v8 back in the late eighties with an impco LPG dual fuel system in it - you had to remember that when you shut it down for the day you needed to switch it back over to petrol otherwise she'd be pain to start in the morning.
I still miss that old rambler (loved that big bench seat) and she was one of the few cars i had that i regret selling.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I just called the gas company here ( Virginia Natural Gas) and asked if they offer anything. Of course the person answering the phone didn't know but is going to have someone call me back.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Ryan, Overland Park is your closest retail fuel station, price is pretty doggone good too, are you sitting down? $1.19 a gallon.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Only one in the whole metro. It's about 3 miles from my future work location. Sounds like I'd have to get it set up at home to refuel, but the price is $1.19 per gallon.

Ryan

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Dang, I didn't see your post. The nearest outfitter would be in St. Louis... that's not exactly convenient.

Maybe we can convert over Erica's mustang.

Being a total novice to even this idea - are tanks round like propane tanks? Would they just go in the bed of the truck? If it'll be in the bed anyway, how big of a tank could I get, because 13 gallons wouldn't get me far.

Ryan

I got a return call. Sounds like the EPA is getting involved and causing the prices to go up on alot of the conversion kits and installs. The pump kits for the home use are running about $5500.00. The vehicle conversion kits with install is running about $8000.00.
They have to be EPA certified kits and installed by an EPE certified installer.The closest fill station to me is about 10 miles and is at $1.66 right now.
Here's a link to a site that shows fill stations around the continent. Just put your zip code in the box at the upper left corner.
http://www.cngprices.com/index.php?location=23462&lat=36.8400852&lng=-76.1493891

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Bear in mind gentlemen, those are for EPA certified kits only, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat and there are do it yourself kits. Anything pre OBD II is exempt. HInt Hint

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I think 96 was the start of all things OBD II...

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Ryan, if you still got your 94, and want to use it as a dedicated driver and not hauler, you can convert is really easy, and get multiple cylinders in the bed. IIRC 39 gallon total capacity (3 13gals will fit lenght wise in the bed) would be easily accomplished. I saw an installation like this with an aluminum cover ovfer the top of the cylinders, so the driver still had a half deep bed.

Ford Truck Articles