Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Another to add to my fleet

Picked this up the other day, it has never worked a day in its life, has 81000km on it. It was used for the Montreal Grand Prix as far as I know, plaques on the dash , for towing grand prix cars I assume, because nothing on the truck has ever been worked. Fully loaded interior with carpet and original carpet floor mats, interior is in great shape. So here it is. 1989 f -superduty

Attachments

• IMG_20161225_135838989.jpg
  • IMG_20161225_084353658.jpg
Wow! That's awesome! What are your plans with it?

Going to service it, and put it to work, its kinda weird to drive it, you forget you are driving a wrecker, going over bumps and ridges it's smooth and quiet, not a clunk or bang, it is going to be part of my new business, will compliment my deck truck , but I like wreckers better than the roll back, it will be great for doing recoveries, and it is nice and flashy too,

It will need some love, its got what I like to call sitting syndrome, it will need a brake line, rear line is blown, runs good but tune up is in order, has exhaust leak at catalytic converter tube, going to pull all the wheels and install new tires, the tires are cracked bad on it now, while the wheels are off I'll go through the brakes, got most of the lights working now, needed a couple bulbs and a wire fixed, and few bulbs needed in light bar too. The switches for all the accessories are not the greatest either so a proper switch panel is going to be fitted, or I'll make a better more user friendly panel. The tilt steering lever and signal light switch is broken, I have an 89 xlt that will donate some steering column parts, just a bunch of minor little things, the PTO is a bit finicky to get engaged, but once in the runs oh so smooth, fast idle works good, hydraulics work smooth and easy.and it's got nice wheel lift, rubber sling, dollies and twin winches, pretty versatile truck.

The drive train is a 460 efi, 5speed zf trans with park brake on the driveshaft. It's not as bad on fuel as I originally thought, drove 300km home, but not as good on fuel as the 94 power stroke deck truck I have.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Nice find, please keep us posted on how it's working out.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Going to service it, and put it to work, its kinda weird to drive it, you forget you are driving a wrecker, going over bumps and ridges it's smooth and quiet, not a clunk or bang, it is going to be part of my new business, will compliment my deck truck , but I like wreckers better than the roll back, it will be great for doing recoveries, and it is nice and flashy too,

Perfect!! :beer:

Yep, she definitely got sitting syndrome, went to try the sling out, it wouldn't extend, so I beat and tapped and pulled for an hour and a half in the garage before I could get the arms to extend, so this morning I put the sling and arms back on the truck and hooked up to my mercury, the sling rubbers are rotten, they held up the mercury , but, I'll change em out before I tow anything, and the boom up hyd line blew, turns out all the hyd lines are rotten and deteriorated. So I'll get all new hyd Hosea made up at the same time I get new belts for the sling

Attachments

• IMG_20161228_094904378.jpg
Time and the weather are mortal enemies of rubber.

Yep indeed, so after I moved the merc and set it down, I mounted a tire on it , then I chainslinged the bronco from the wheel lift and pulled it out of the garage and tarped it , then moved some things around so I could get the wrecker into the garage, length is good by 3" measured, but light bar too high for door, deflated front tires and she squeaked inside.

Picked this up the other day, it has never worked a day in its life, has 81000km on it. It was used for the Montreal Grand Prix as far as I know, plaques on the dash , for towing grand prix cars I assume, because nothing on the truck has ever been worked. Fully loaded interior with carpet and original carpet floor mats, interior is in great shape. So here it is. 1989 f -superduty

Nice rig ,a lot tide up just in the bed & hydro!....YelloThumbUp

Had everything finished and truck on the road. But had major setback. She burnt in a lightning storm last night.

Attachments

• IMG_20170504_162732649_HDR.jpg.58f0a5406bebdaf48a9afdaba57344cb.jpg
  • 20170702_014845.jpg

Ford Truck Articles