Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2010 F-450 Won't Take Fuel

Just picked up the F-450 2010 ambulance. Drove it back from Linn MO. Beautiful country in that part of MO. Also went thru Herman MO while taking my time to pick it up. Unfortunatly didn't get to do any wine tasteing.

Coming back I had to fill up several time. First time no problem putting fuel in truck. Second, third and forth time had to to spoon feed the fuel into the tank. Don't know what happened.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Forgot to mention that I checked the filler and vent lines and they are not kinked. You can get about a half gallon in the filler pipe before it backs up. then from that point on you must dribble the fuel in.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Sounds like tank vents may be defective.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Is it a gas or diesel truck? Make sure when the body was installed the fuel tank wasn't crushed slightl giving you an incorrect fuel level reading. The tank maybe full.

It is a diesel. The tank is undamaged and the filler and vent hose are not crimped. It took 26 gallons of fues the last time, it just took 30 minutes to fill. Had to dribble the fuel in.

This was the case with my 2007 F 250 crew with the 5.4 gas. Finally had to adjust the angle of the filler neck, and now it's no problem to fill up. My 03 F 550 with the 6.0 and the custom flatbed requires a procedure before I can release the fuel nozzle.......hold the fuel nozzle all the way in and turned at a 90 degree angle compared to normal...squeeze handle until the first click, then s-l-o-w-l-y let it go back to it's natural position (straight up and down). 99% of the time, by doing this, there's no problem.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
This was the case with my 2007 F 250 crew with the 5.4 gas. Finally had to adjust the angle of the filler neck, and now it's no problem to fill up. My 03 F 550 with the 6.0 and the custom flatbed requires a procedure before I can release the fuel nozzle.......hold the fuel nozzle all the way in and turned at a 90 degree angle compared to normal...squeeze handle until the first click, then s-l-o-w-l-y let it go back to it's natural position (straight up and down). 99% of the time, by doing this, there's no problem.

Good thing you don't live in NJ where you can't pump your own gas. You'd have to give the attendant an instruction book to fill up.

OK, the ambulance remount people have notified me that they have had this problem and it is caused by the vent tube being below the filler tube. The fuel will back up into the vent tube and keep it from functioning properly. They will send a service person to drain and reposition the vent tube. Not a Ford problem.

Last edited:

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
The F-Super Duty flatbed at my old work had that issue, the angle on the filler tubes was Effed up. It was flatbedded as a body-in-white and the company that did the flatbed back in 1990 adjusted the fill hoses down to tuck under the flatbed (instead of through a service bed). This bent the hose into the tank creating a lip inside the tank.

PITA trying to fill it and the hose looks fine because the problem was in the tank. Back when the dump hoist worked i would raise it 2-3 feet and pull the hose back out to fill. When it broke a found that twisting the rubber while pulling back on the filler hose would let me fuel normally.

Don't know if it is fact or not. They old me the vent tube needs to be attached to the top top of the filler tube to prevent it from slipping below the filler tube. If not, fuel will flow into the vent tube and cause the problem

Ford Truck Articles