View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 AM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
Bill, I use the "half-size" guns without the plunger and I've not had any problems. Granted, they don't last as long, but they also don't leak. As cheap as they are, I consider them disposable.
use to use those... i got fed up with them when after doing 2 tie rods the tubes were essentially done... or if you were greasing a new joint it would take the whole tube and sometimes part of another depending on the vehilce i was working on... thats when i bought one of the larger ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyBilly9Mile View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Totally open to ideas.......in the past the "stick the gun in the bag" has been tried, but it's a slimy mess when it comes out. Looked around and found the air grease guns, but they still had the rod. Revisited the thought about pulling back that lever/plunger as I wondered if it would make any difference. Have seen the small guns, they didn't look disposable but the grease tubes were nice and small and really, the large gun is sort of cumbersome, so I'll look again and see if one is out there that can be loaded with any flavor of grease by hand.

*What has been in my back pocket was the possibility of making a grease gun holder out of 3 or 4" ABS or PVC, building a handle to keep the gun from falling into it, install a flat cap on the bottom, fit a small ball valve to the bottom of the cap, hang it on the wall and drain the sucker maybe once a year. Downfall is, they still get slimy just hanging around, unless the "back off the plunger" pans out. Decisions, decisions, but the slimy mess calls for finding a better way......
https://www.genuinehotrod.com/itemgr...ase-gun-holder

if you want to save yourself some engineering.. theres one already made.. and its made of plastic.. some mixed reviews with it.. with as much as mine drips i just went with the trashcan instead...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus