Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

My Ford project. Sigh............

I know there were some variations in valving between the tanks in those years but I think if you cap your lines and leave the selector on your other tank you should be ok.

And holy hell... That is some rust! Whereabouts are you from to get that kind of rust? Guessing northeast or upper midwest?

Been kinda busy on the job the last few weeks. No time to enjoy some quality garage time, ya know.

CAP the lines !!! Yup. I clamped them as they have the "I don't know" slip lock type connectors. Still runs.

I beat about 20 lbs of rust off. It is in pretty bad shape. Jacked up the truck frame and lined the body panel lines to pretty close. Tacked a piece of 3/8" X 4" on out side of each side of the truck frame. Looks level now and is a lot stiffer to drive.

I am hoping next weekend I can pull the bed off and get serious about this. Maybe make a decision as to what to do about this frame. Some metal loss on the cross members too to rust.

Pictures next time. Promise.

Thanks

Greetings members.

My job hasn't allowed me much time to play with this project, but some progress has been made. I did some serious thinking as to how to repair this and came to the conclusion that the frame is done.

Last Saturday I went to a local junkyard to see what was available. They had 1 F 250 FWD, but it was a little different. I have leaf springs in the front and this one has coil springs. The yard manager said that the frames are the same and the holes are there for my leaf spring brackets. Any one know if that is true? I took his word on it and bought it. Will pick up next Saturday. I then plan on cleaning and painting that frame before I swap every thing over.

Here are some better pictures of my current frame now. SWISS CHEESE. The front tank is just as bad. I will be replacing both tanks on this truck during re assembly

So, did I buy a frame I can't use or will it work?

Attachments

• Ford Pickup old frame and tank 001.jpg
  • Ford Pickup old frame and tank 003.jpg
  • Ford Pickup old frame and tank 004.jpg
  • Ford Pickup old frame and tank 005.jpg
  • Ford Pickup old frame and tank 006.jpg
I stuck my phone under the donor truck and got this shot. After looking at both frame pics, I am beginning to wonder. Just hoping it's the same frame, even if I have to drill holes.

To swap this out I plan on bringing my heavy home to do the lifting. I think if I plan and prepare this right, I can swap the cab and drive train in one day. Anybody ever done this before. Any info or input is appreciated. Greatly appreciated!

My over head crane is pictured here.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
  • wreck pocono  shed 022.jpg
Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
One frame is for a 150, one is for a 250, not quite the same regarding the suspension.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Basic frame rails are the same. Cross members might be different, depending on what engine Transmission was used.
The heads of the rivets can be ground off, and driven out with a punch, and replaced with yours

Same goes with your spring perches. grind the rivets off, punch them out, and bolt them back on the new frame
Or, you can get kits that come with new perches and all the hardware for a fairly decent price

The 4x2 rear spring perches on the junkyard frame are not the same as your 4x4 spring perches, and will have to be changed.

Last frame swap I did was a IDI diesel f 250 4 x 2, for a gas f 350 4x4, so it can be done, just be prepared for lots of grinding of rivet heads

Last edited:
Basic frame rails are the same. Cross members might be different, depending on what engine Transmission was used.
The heads of the rivets can be ground off, and driven out with a punch, and replaced with yours

Same goes with your spring perches. grind the rivets off, punch them out, and bolt them back on the new frame
Or, you can get kits that come with new perches and all the hardware for a fairly decent price

The 4x2 rear spring perches on the junkyard frame are not the same as your 4x4 spring perches, and will have to be changed.

Last frame swap I did was a IDI diesel f 250 4 x 2, for a gas f 350 4x4, so it can be done, just be prepared for lots of grinding of rivet heads

You are 100 percent correct on everything you are saying. I bought a frame a few months ago from a local junk yard. but had a hell of a time getting it home. We were short A drivers and I just ran constantly.

I finally had a Saturday and we had a flat bed available for me to use.

I want to show pictures but I just received this while uploading the pics

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Once I get this worked out Pics of the frame and progress shall be forth coming.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Image file should be OK Randy, the gallery resizes to fit. I've had that error message before but I will be damned if I can recall what the fix was.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Did you try clearing your cache as Randy suggested?

yea, only place I am having problems with is here. Post pics every where else, no problem. Used a torch today to clean up the frame a bit. pretty much ready to blast and prime.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Can you try loading to the gallery instead of as an attachment?...just curious if that solves the problem...if not can you take a screenshot and email it to us please?

vBulletin Message

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Here is a copy and paste of what I get. Don't know how to do a screen shot. Sorry

WOW....what a project! I read all the posts on this and want to point out a few things. First, good idea to trash that old frame. It would never be safe with a 2 wheel drive. Definately would not last on a 4 wheel. Before transfering everything over, I would blast the frame and prime it with a quality epoxy primer. If you use a real epoxy primer in black, there is no reason to even paint it afterwards. In all honesty, I would not consider using Por-15, but apparently here, like a lot of forums, people like it. I can write a book on why not to use it, but that is your choice. Just protect the frame from corrosion, because in your area it obviously will get eaten fast.

When replacing the rivets with bolts, go to the next larger size bolts and use only grade 8 bolts and nuts.

Keep in mind that, unlike those other manufacturer's toy trucks, Ford's body lines usually line up when the bed and cab are mounted right.

Good Luck

Aaron D. Thomas

WOW....what a project! I read all the posts on this and want to point out a few things. First, good idea to trash that old frame. It would never be safe with a 2 wheel drive. Definately would not last on a 4 wheel. Before transfering everything over, I would blast the frame and prime it with a quality epoxy primer. If you use a real epoxy primer in black, there is no reason to even paint it afterwards. In all honesty, I would not consider using Por-15, but apparently here, like a lot of forums, people like it. I can write a book on why not to use it, but that is your choice. Just protect the frame from corrosion, because in your area it obviously will get eaten fast.

When replacing the rivets with bolts, go to the next larger size bolts and use only grade 8 bolts and nuts.

Keep in mind that, unlike those other manufacturer's toy trucks, Ford's body lines usually line up when the bed and cab are mounted right.

Good Luck

Aaron D. Thomas
Thanks Aaron, Yea, I have done a lot of prep work to the new / used frame. Eliminated a bunch of extra stuff and made a couple of frame liners. I did have to cut the front of the old frame off and add it to the new due to the suspension difference. I am using a epoxy style primer that I got through our body shop. NOT cheap. Was told it was real good. I said, better be for that price..

Kinda gave up on this thread because I can't post pictures. Just trudging along when i can

Ok, we are back in business. Here is my replacement frame. It was a 1990 F150 FWD. There are a few minor differences, as I was told there would be. Junk yard left a whole lot of extra "stuff" on the frame. Have some work to do on this thing. I have all ready done quite a bit. More pictures to follow along with some questions and some explanations.

Ya know. pictures are getting frustrating, Catching the "upload failure" now

Logged out and logged back in, try again.

ford frame 002.jpg:
Upload of file failed.
ford frame 003.jpg:
Upload of file failed.
ford frame 004.jpg:
Upload of file failed.

What am I doing wrong?

Ford Truck Articles