Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Cat to Manifold Flange bolts

So I am into changing my passenger side manifold. I cannot for the life of me get a socket and ratchet on the upper bolt. Tried a variety of diff length sockets and 3/8 and 1/2" drives. nothing goes on strait. I thought about just cutting the bolts and replacing them but how would I tighten the upper one to torq or at the very least snug it up? This has me totally stumped and is holding me up from tackling the manifold. Thank you in advance.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I bent an open end wrench with a torch to get to mine. One click at a time.

no way I could get an open end wrench on that....I cut the tip off the stud and used a shorter socket so I could get the ratchet on and same as before there is almost zero clearence....can't get a socket on strait and I also tried different ratchets..just busted my knuckle and now its getting cut off with the saws all.....I'll get it out of the manifold when I get it off. Question is how am I going to reinstall this now when I get new studs and bolts? is there a special width ratchet and custom size socket? this is the only bolt that you can't get a strait shot at because the cat is in the way.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I had the cat off mine when I did it. It's in a van, so I have even less room.

the flange on mine I couldn't even get a wrench on...I cut the stud on the top...found a crack in the manifold so it doesn't matter..just wondering how I am gonna get it back together there...drivers side is much easier access

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
removing the inner fenders help out a lot on getting to the bolts. the only one i ever had a problem getting to was the lower bolt that sat both behind the shock tower and above the cross member. but managed to do it with a universal and deep socket on the end on mine.. after that it was my extensions to get the wrench on it. but downside was it took one person to hold the socket on and another to turn the ratchet.. at least thats for the manifold to head bolts.. saw the topic said cat to manifold bolt but looked more like you were asking about the manifold to head bolts

thank you but I am in fact referring to the Cat/muffler to manifold flange bolts. I already have the manifold off and the inner wheel well lining. The top bolt above the catalytic converter is the hardest to get at. If I put a deep socket on it( because of the length of the stud) I can't get the ratchet on strait and if I put the socket on the ratchet first , the way the cat is shaped won't allow me to get seated correctly on the nut and it wants to start stripping it.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
and cant do the socket with a universal to get around the cat?

Ford Truck Articles