Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Fuel Pressure

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Seems to bounce onthe way up too.. Right about the 35-38 needle on the mechanical one bounces..

blacksnapon

Staff member
Alright... I bought a mechanical gauge from summit I'm getting the same odd readings... Sometimes it'll read 55psi. Oter times 35 at idle or when I've got koEoff
Again, the only measurement that makes any difference is at WOT.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
could i get the same reading without going down the road? had mom rev the engine hard to simulate going WOT while i stood up front to watch it and itd drop to 40 when it would read 55 to start with..

blacksnapon

Staff member
could i get the same reading without going down the road? had mom rev the engine hard to simulate going WOT while i stood up front to watch it and itd drop to 40 when it would read 55 to start with..
Supposed to be under a load. The special tool mentioned earlier simulates the loaded wot condition. Diesel Fuel Flow Tester 310-193

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
darn.. guess ill have to take it out for another run again and see what it says... will have to wait till after it gets dark so there arent as many idiots on the road...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
jic... if i still show a low reading when i go later... is there anything else i can look at before tearing into that pump that could be causing it to read so low? like a check valve or something that may be popping open? did the blue spring on the truck when i first got it due to all the bad things i heard of for the stock black one.. friend said i should be reading 7psi higher than norm just from that...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
took it out this afternoon.. had the mech on a feed line so i could take it into the cab to watch... second i got on it the needle dropped to 35 never came back up... not even when i got stuck at a light... light changed and tried to get on it again just to see what would happen.. needle went spastic dropping to 32 and truck started bucking.. at idle waiting for the cross traffic to go by to turn back towards the house... i could feel it missing erratically like the timing was slightly off. im thinking after that the pumps seriously got some issues there...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
put one on 2 day air :( racor pump... supposedly the same company ford contracted to build them initially from what ive been told.. had thoughts of doing an air dog 2 system... but dont have the $$ for that atm...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got the fuel pump replaced today after it finally arrived... also put in new fuel filters... pressure came up to 55psi and sat there at idle... and truck seems to be happier now...under hard accel it still dropped to 36-37psi.. but recovered after a second to about 41psi.. is this normal under hard accel? soon as id let off itd rise back up to 55.. and would stay at 55 during cruise...

even got the rear tires to skitter on take off... which im told is kinda impossible for mostly stock dually truck and dry ground.. but was also able to slide the back end around during a U-turn.. which ive never been able to do before...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Okie dokie.. Thanks man. :) truck does seem happy again though... Maybe ill gget some fuel mpg back now... Provided I can keep the skinny one off the floor now....lol

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Well this is annoying... Went to come home.. And back to 35psi

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I suspect i found the problem today... Bought a new blue spring kit today.. (wasnt happy about it... ) Upon investigation i discovered apparently the seats been taking a beating..

IMG-20140913-01706_zps70d23beb.jpg

IMG-20140913-01710_zps858fa05b.jpg

should look more like the left one... not mushed and meltish looking like on the right..

but wont know for sure until i can get a new sensor adapter..

IMG-20140913-01708_zpsf14a8a3d.jpg

kinda snapped it off today :( and of course none in the area...

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
apparently my seats been taking a beating

:D

I bought my adapter from glowshift. Reasonably priced

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
:D

I bought my adapter from glowshift. Reasonably priced

i did too.. they seem to be the only ones that have them... why i dont know... ordered 2 of them this time... but that means ill have to wait till tuesday to see if fixing the reulator solved the problem...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
IMG-20140916-01730_zpsd438398e.jpg

apparently that little black cap was the whole problem... its fixed now.. and it wont get below 53 no matter how hard i push it now lol...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Nice...I gotta do that blue spring myself.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
its easy... easier on the newer ones too... 30 mins at most.. less you wanna fight with the rad hose... i just used a ratchet strap and the driver side rim to "persuade" it outta my way... lol you should see my other bit of enginuity i came up with..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Grrr this is really starting to piss me off now.. Regulator now been done twice, fuel pump is new. was getting great pressure for the last week... including my 1200 mile trip i took over the weekend.. pressure was fine all day yesterday to and from work.. I jump in the truck this morning its back down to 40 PSI... I have no idea where to look now.

Ford Truck Articles