Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Straight-up timing set for a 400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Glad she fired Doug. Now for an even bigger grin, advance it to 14*...if it hard starts back it off.

Oil pan could be bolts backed out...otherwise a dab or two of rtv black until you feel like dropping the pan.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Hehehehe! Thanks, Ben. I will advance the timing a little bit and see what happens. I did retighten the back oil pan bolts, which were a little loose.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Great to hear everything went smoothly!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Took the truck for a little cruise this morning (130 miles). It seems like the truck isn't laboring so much to get up to speed. I don't notice a big increase in power, but it just takes less effort to get down the road, now. I will bump the timing up to 12 BTDC, and see what happens.

So far, I'm happy with the results.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just remember to check for pinging Doug.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I posted results of a short camping trip on another thread, and thought I would post it here, also, so all the info is in the same place.

I towed the 18 ft trailer about 180 miles round trip. Ambient temps were from 60 - 70 deg. Going down, the engine temps peaked at about 212 degrees. Coming back, longer grade, the engine temps peaked at about 222 deg before I got to the top of the grade, but cooled down nicely after getting over the top of the grade(195 deg). Also started pinging at higher temps.

The radiator did not boil over.

I will change the timing back from 12 deg to 10 deg.

Overall, the engine temps were lower by about 10 deg.(200-210, instead of 210 - 220)

We will see what happens later this summer when the ambient temps increase.

Ford Truck Articles