Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

So Ian (JohnDeere).......

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Saw your other thread. I suggest you check this as it's often overlooked. Aged, heat cracked elbow in the PCV return line, located towards the front of the engine causing a vac leak, and as it progresses you will eventually get P0171 and P0174 lean codes.

103_2333.jpg

103_2331.jpg

Hose2.jpg

*Don't forget to look where you can't see, such as the bottom side.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Would that also be a possible cause for a lean burn condition on a 2001 Ford Windstar with a 3.8 L V6 ? For my mom's Windstar I had the codes pulled and it had the codes for a lean burn condition. I had talked to the Ford dealer about it and I was told that it was intake manifold gaskets. Where would this PCV return line be located on the 3.8L V6 in the 2001 Windstar? Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
So Ian, any feedback?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
No...was dark by the time I got out of work, and I'd prefer to look under natural light than flashlight. Hopefully tomorrow I can duck out a bit earlier.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
NP, let us know what you find.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I took a pretty close look/feel over both elbows (in-situ) this afternoon- I can't fee any cracks or damage, and the rubber looks good on the visible parts (flexible, no cracking, no oily leaks, etc).

I also tried to feel for air movement...don't feel any at the one in back (where the PCV is); hard to say at the front because the fan is there. I suppose I could've popped the serpentine belt off, but I didn't.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
NP, it's a known area of concern so it had to be done.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Maybe didn't help him, but fixed my 'sploder!!!!

Thanks Billy!!!!

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Really, you had a cracked PCV elbow? Regardless, glad it took care of a problem. :)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I did. changed the coil pack, wires, computer.
NEVER a code
The idle is much better now.
Something else is still going on, but it's much more "user friendly"

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I did. changed the coil pack, wires, computer.
NEVER a code
The idle is much better now.
Something else is still going on, but it's much more "user friendly"

Did you check for pending codes after it acted funny? Pending codes don't trigger the CEL, you have to go and look for them and they only stick around for one duty cycle. If the same fault does not occur on the next duty cycle, the CEL won't come on.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yes, and it shows none.
It's doing it every warm start now.

Like a bad idle control valve on steroids.
Goes away after about 10 seconds. code reader shows nothing even hooked up while running

I guess it's one of those " let it develop" repairs

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Well, got tired of dealing with the "let it develop" method, and took it to my friend's shop

Mass air needs cleaned
fuel pressure fluctuates

He suggested running a few tanks of fuel treatment through it. Injectors have about 200,000 miles on them.
I'll clean or replace the mass air, and treat the fuel, and get back with you........

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
*Dirty MAF sensor...everything I've seen and experienced shows that a dirty MAF sensor likes to deliver symptoms of running lean (knock going up hills, for example). When you clean yours, be very OCD about it, use FI cleaner and an artist/model paint brush, gently rubbing the FI cleaner on the delicate elements of the MAF sensor and plenty of clean FI cleaner. Finish by gently blowing with compressed air.

*I don't know if you have the fuel pressure regulator on the rail and back by the firewall (earlier 4.0's), but if you do, just for kicks, pull off the vacuum line and see check for the presence of gas in it. There should be none whatsoever.

Please tell us what year the vehicle is; signatures with the description are great!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
'sploder is a 96 with the in block cam 4.0

I have way too many trucks to put in a sig, I don't want to brag for one, and the other, there isn't enough room.
Cars and trucks have been collecting me since a young age, and I only let them go if they are too far gone, or someone offers me a stupid amount of money for them

Ford Truck Articles