Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Time for move forward!!

Well, I got ya beat there. My transmission is non-synchronized to begin with.

I guess you do. Second and third are supposed to be syncronized in mine. First is not. [confused]

You can do it. Alot easier than an automatic. I had a 47 Mercury sedan that I broke the first and reverse cluster in it. I rebuilt it myself with no problems at all. I have also done a few truck 4 speeds.

From what the book shows, it is not too bad. Getting parts (and affording them) may be a different story. :headbang:

I am soooooo used to tearing into automatics. My earliest memories of workiing on cars was the valve bodies looking like a bed of worms. 'hah'

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
pretty bud i hope i can get some painted pics up soon myself!

Brian, this is what they painted it with. As you can see, the camera flash altered the color somewhat -- from what I remember, it is close to the Duplicolor color in person, and this is supposed to be a good match for the factory color. Well, one of the colors - -supposedly 1950 pickup flatheads could be bronze or red also.

Thanks Jeff. I thought there was a green color on some of the old flatheads.

Mine was Yellow and black originally. I can still see a few flecks of yellow on it. All the black was replaced with chrome probably 30 years ago. You know what rusty old chrome looks like? LOL

to bad you didn't round up a 49 to 53 merc crank and pistons man. the stroke is a 1/4 inch longer. they just moved the pin location to make for the longer stroke.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
HOLY CRAP! Look at that spring pack!!

Lookin' pretty good buddy, you gotta be screamin' to get that thing on the road at this point :D

Hell yeah. I am so looking forward to driving it again! That is a heavy duty suspension, isn't it? Notice Ford didn't bother with shocks back there, either.

And the Tank Returns

I picked it up yesterday, all done. Had to piddle with the carb a bit as the linkage was hanging up but that seems to work now. Also it appears that gas was leaking around the base of the carb, so I tightened the nuts to see if that will fix it. It runs pretty good. The clutch is a lot heavier now but I'm getting used to it. The real glitch was I stopped somewhere yesterday afternoon and couldn't get it started again. Finally started wearing the battery down, so I called AAA and the fella they sent out was able to jump start it. I drove the Tank today and it started and ran fine. Hafta see what happens...

Engine 1

Engine 2

Rear Diff

Ford Truck Articles