Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351 M

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Thanks Ben, I was looking for 300HP don't need anymore than that.Aussie Heads that are bare,do they need rebuilt or just new parts put in?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
ford has never used small/big block notations..

a Cleveland or 351M/400 are 335 series.

Yes Chris I know this, But most places that builds frames for what I have in mind doesn't all they know is Small Block Ford/ C4 trans or Small Block Ford/C6 combination, Big Block Ford/C4 or Big Block Ford/C6. They don't know the difference in series.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Did you build these heads or have a shop work them over?

Also is a Cleveland block considered a small block?

Shop...I don't have the tools necessary to compress the springs. It was $300.

As Chris mentioned...the 351C is a 335 series engine. But yes, deck height and the fact it has a 'small block' bell housing...most will call it a small block.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Shop...I don't have the tools necessary to compress the springs. It was $300.

As Chris mentioned...the 351C is a 335 series engine. But yes, deck height and the fact it has a 'small block' bell housing...most will call it a small block.

Thanks Ben looks like I will need to find a shop in the city that knows Fords. The T Bucket sites don't know the difference in series on Ford engines, but they treat all of the big 2 mfg the same. SBF/SBC, BBF/BBC which is kind of aggravating.

ford has never used small/big block notations..

a Cleveland or 351M/400 are 335 series.

Hey Chris you forgot the wee 302 cleveland ....... revvy little sucker and just has a nicer sound than the windsor imo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think $200 for a M/C6 is an OK price. I've bought and sold 351M's from free to $100 and C6's from $25-$150. Not knowing the condition would make them cores to me, and I'd probably top out at about $150, at that price, you can get a good chunk of your change back at the scrapper. It really depends on what your budget is...it's not overly expensive to get these engines to the 300hp/400tq level, which is more than enough for 95% of applications. My favorite cams to run in these engines are from the DEH (255 and 265) and XE (256 and 262) line ups from Comp. Get the whole kit (cam, double roller timing set, springs, locks, etc), get a set of iron Aussies ($400 bare), carb, intake, headers...and you'll be good to go. TMI has 400 cranks for $295...but if I were to go that far in, I'd go new pistons too...hypertectics for more mild builds, but the KB flat tops (TMI offers) are pretty sweet too (but with the aussies and flat tops, and all else being relatively mild, probably too much compression for street use and anything less than 93 octane).

Remember that the closed chamber heads allow you to run a higher CR without problems..even with regular.

primetime

sawmill slave
Not picking on the M`s, but I think for a t-bucket, you will be a lot better off with a 302. Main reasons be installation, engine mounts are unique to M/400`s. Headers are another if you want the cool t-bucket style. It`s been awhile since I oggled Speedways t-bucket catolog, but I think headers for a 302 were $150. Cleveland headers will fit an M, but will sit higher up and out on an M.

As mentioned, a 335 won`t be much more than a few hundred bucks more expensive than a 302 to build in the long run. But lets keep in mind. T-buckets don`t weigh shat, about 2300-2500 lbs if I remember right. A half wore out 302 will shove them around nicely. Find a nice running 302 out of an Explorer, or truck, dress it up with a four barrel and headers, and just cruise it. For cheap. And have lots o fun.

351M versus the world

First time poster here, and was happy to see a few postings on the 351M. I have a 1977 F-250 Ranger XLT, factory Highboy or Highrider which ever you prefer. I like most of you continue to pour money into this truck but I love it, figureatively speaking. The original 351M that was in the truck was beyond rebuilding same for the C-6 tranny, interior shot but the body was pristine.

I found what I thought was a screaming deal on a 78 351M that came out of a bronco. It belonged to an Air Force guy stationed at Beal AFB. It is believed that the motor was rmfg. by Gearheads. Anyway after aprox. 17K miles the AF guy totaled the Bronco. So I came across it and bit. My mech. compression tested it at an average of 165 lbs. 24 lbs of vaccume. It had an RV cam and is gear driven and has Hedman headers. Had the C6 rebuilt too. It ran like a champ but the gear drive can be a bit annoying, but although a bit under powered for a truck with an unladen weight of 5120 lbs it got around fine.

I have put less than 3000 miles since the swap and while traveling home a week ago from a 90 mile round trip with steep grades, etc. (I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mtns.) I noticed a lack of power more than normal. It was at night and on a state highway but about 12 miles from my home I noticed it missing and some smoke coming from the exhaust.

Limped home and the next day I pulled the plugs which all seemed to be gas/oil soaked. I dropped the oil and found no metals changed the plugs and it ran like it was ready to explode with all the smoke coming from the right bank and none on the left. Note: no sign of water in oil either. It will barely if not at all idle but seems to smooth out some when accelerated.

I took a video of this and sent to my mach. He has not been able to break loose to check it out in person yet but is not hopeful for this motor based on the video.

Finally, we come to my question. Do I attempt to rebuild this motor, by a crate 351M or 400M. What changes would I have to make to install something other than a 351M> Such as motor mounts, bell housing, etc.

I have read many articles debating which Ford motor is the best. 351C, 351M or 400. They all seem to differ but all pretty much agree that the M is under powered. I am looking forward to getting some help from others that have similar experience. Buck

Ford Truck Articles