Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ok, kind of a follow up on last post.

Ok, heres the deal. I have an 1980 F 150 4x4 with a junk motor. I was going to buy a 1975 302 and drop it in but the transmission in my 89 Crown Vic is going out again but the 302 runs strong. The Vic is fuel injected, the truck is not. Can I just change the intake to the carb one or is there more to it? Someone said something about changing the distributor gear on another post I read. One thing to mention, the truck came factory with a 302 but, I was told it was swapped in for a 351 W. Can I use any of the good parts from the 351, if that is what it is on my 302 to make this work? Thanks.

Fellro

Staff member
Yes, 302 and 351W injected motors can be easily swapped to carb. Not sure on the distributor, but changing the gear wouldn't make a difference if it happened to be reverse rotation.

As to 351W to 302, not much shares. The deck height is taller, so the intake is different. The exhaust manifolds will trade. pulleys and water pump should trade.

Fellro

Staff member
Negative, unfortunately.

Fellro

Staff member
Only if you want to do a LOT of work. The transmission will not bolt, the exhaust is different, the motor mounts are different. The FE (352, 360,390, 428) motors were discontinued in 1976.

Ford Truck Articles