Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2002 Explorer Cruise Control and AC Problems

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents.

My 2002 Explorer has about 56K miles on it. A nice car but for 2 problems:

1. The cruise control works only intermittantly (never when the repair shop has it in for service, of course), and,

2. The AC blow cold and will cool down the car, but it will blow only through the rear vent in the console for the back seat and through the windshield defroster and demisters for the front side windows. It will not divert to the 4 dashboard vents.

Anyone got an ideas for these two problems?

Thanks.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
2. The AC blow cold and will cool down the car, but it will blow only through the rear vent in the console for the back seat and through the windshield defroster and demisters for the front side windows. It will not divert to the 4 dashboard vents.

We have an 03 with similar issues. Sounds like it's blowing real hard but not much comes out. I'm interested to hear if anyone has a fix for this one.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents.

My 2002 Explorer has about 56K miles on it. A nice car but for 2 problems:

1. The cruise control works only intermittantly (never when the repair shop has it in for service, of course), and,

Anyone got an ideas for these two problems?

Thanks.
1. That sounds like a wiring issue inside the steering column. 2. vacuum leak (the hvac will default to defrost when theres a problem).

blacksnapon

Staff member
where would you start looking for the vacuum leak.
pull the hvac head out, behind it should be a plug in with a bunch of vacuum lines in it. One should be a strong vacuum source with the motor running. If not, I think it goes through the firewall on the passenger side behind the glovebox. Its just inspecting and tracing hoses from there.

Many Ford passenger cars have similar problems, especially '97 &'98 Mark VIIIs, in most cases its the HVAC blend door that's the problem ande sometimes it's the vacuum diaphram thats on top of the plenum located behind the radio and inaccessable without removing the dash assembly, all of it.

Ford Truck Articles