Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Have a chance to buy

Hi guys its been awhile since I have been in here. I have a chance to buy a 1986 F350 crew cab DRW. With the 6.9 IDI and a 4 speed trans. Body is really in good shape. Interior is n good shape as well. And yea it all depends on what someone is willing to pay for it. But is $3500 a reasonable price for it? Thanks

I agree the price is pretty much fair, but really depends with the over all condition of the vehicle. Congrats by the way with the purchase.

Well guy the 86 is back at dealer. I can get it for $2000. The starter is toast. But before I finally the deal will get a starter so I can get it to run. Make sure it will run.

Fellro

Staff member
Starter alone is an easy $150... Question is if the starter simply wore out, or if the glow plug system is having issues which in turn helped the starter wear out, or if the injection pump is worn causing extra cranking.

Ok update. Got the starter installed. Will not crank. Thinking injector pump is out. Getting fuel to fuel filter. But nothing to bleeder screw on pump. What you all think?

Fellro

Staff member
Just for clarifying terminology, if the engine spins over, it is cranking. If it doesn't fire or start, that is different than cranking over. It is confusing when someone says an engine won't crank, as that makes it seem as it won't turn over.

So, on to the diagnosis. Make sure there is power to the fuel solenoid on the top of the pump. If there is no power you will not get fuel out. I can't remember him many times that for whatever reason that power supply drops and I have to in essence hotwire it to get going. I have had that happen on numerous truck. I have also had it happen when the engine was already running on the road.

Ok sorry. Yes is spins over. Just won't start. I will check the wire. Still working on a deal. He want my s10 and & $1300. Going to try to get it cheaper since its not running. And thanks again

Ford Truck Articles