Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Turbo Problem 2008 F-450 Ambulance

We had an ambulance go down while on a call. It was sitting on the scene running and when the crew returned to the ambulance it had stopped running. The battery was still powerful to turn the engine over but it would not start. There was a image of a wrench beside the odometer. Had vehicle taken by roll-back to Ford dealer.

Service manager called and said it was the turbo pump and several other items involved. This unit is a 2008 F-450 Super Duty diesel and has only 41,000 miles on it. All routine service has been done on schedule.

Any ideas what may have caused this failure and are there any service bulletins out there concerning this issue. We have had a number of Ford ambulances in this area fail with the same issues.

blacksnapon

Staff member
We had an ambulance go down while on a call. It was sitting on the scene running and when the crew returned to the ambulance it had stopped running. The battery was still powerful to turn the engine over but it would not start. There was a image of a wrench beside the odometer. Had vehicle taken by roll-back to Ford dealer.

Service manager called and said it was the turbo pump and several other items involved. This unit is a 2008 F-450 Super Duty diesel and has only 41,000 miles on it. All routine service has been done on schedule.

Any ideas what may have caused this failure and are there any service bulletins out there concerning this issue. We have had a number of Ford ambulances in this area fail with the same issues.

What size engine?(Econoline style is a 6.0, Truck style is a 6.4). There's no "turbo pump" on a 6.0. There's a fuel/turbo cooler pump on a 6.4. A wrench symbol is usually trans related or heat related. DTCs would help.

Blacksnapon, thanks for responding.

It has a 6.4 engine. It is a truck (ambulance chassis) Other than initial call from service manager I have no idea as to what the codes are. She said it was turbo pump. I will try to get clarification tomorrow. 5,000 labor and 1,700 parts. They better be correct in their diagnosis.

This vehicle was used in tornado recovery operations three days prior to going down. While on assignment it got stuck several times and a lot of stress was placed on engine and 4 wheel drive trying to free the vehicle. Don't know if that had any impact on the failure or not.

Here is the code they provided to me: P003

Pin Point - HPP Shorted out

The above is the best I could make out of the handwriting.

Parts:
9G805 B: COVER - FUEL PUMP
9T514 C: KIT - hARDWARE
9A332 A: TUBE - FUEL SUPPLY
9A332 B: TUBE - FUEL SUPPLY
9A543 DRM : PUMP ASY - FUEL INECTIO

blacksnapon

Staff member
Looks like you had a high pressure fuel pump replaced. I can't help thinking that the "pass through wiring" in the cover gasket may have been the problem and they replaced the pump just because they were there. The gasket and wires have a tendency to short out against the pump. Later versions of the gasket had convolute over the wiring to prevent this. I replaced an engine in one military ambulance that came back because the Ford remanufacturer didn't put enough convolute on one wire that shorted anyway.

Thanks blacksnapon!

Wow, a $6,770.00 charge because an engineer/designer didn't think wires needed protecting. Every agency in our area has experienced some kind of major engine troubles with the Ford chassis. We thought we had "dodged the bullet" but alas we have had two major repairs. We like the Ford but all of the latest ambulances purchased have been Dodges,except for one that went with Kenworth.

I am surprised some group hasn't begun some kind of legal action such as the one involving the 6.0.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Is it now100% International design/engineering? Years ago they got in a pissing contest over the 6.0 I believe.

The early pre-turbo diesels all the way to the 6.4 were international engines. Navistar (international) was supposed to cover a portion of warranty costs, and they wouldn't citing that Ford exceeded design perameters by upping horsepower. So the law suits started. Ford then produced the 6.7 with some final tweaking by Bosch. The 6.7 was intended to have a 9 year shelf life. So, it'll be in Ford trucks at least until 2020.

We picked up the repaired ambulance and drove it back 23 miles to the station. Upon arriving we noticed a trail of oil while backing it into the station. Overnight additional oil accumulated in the drip pan under the ambulance. When we raised the hood to check the oil level we discovered the dip stick appeared to be missing. We checked and found out the "T" handle of the dipstick was broken off and the dipstick was still in the tube.

We took it back to the dealership to have it checked out. Received a call the following day and we were informed the head gasket was blown and they had no explanation as to why the dipstick was broken. They said they didn't go near that part of the engine while doing the fuel pump replacement. This will be another $6,000 repair. Can't win, even when you follow all of the maintenance schedules. 41,000 miles and falling apart.

Well guess what...we picked up the ambulance and drove it back to squad house and put it back in service. It rotates back in service every three weeks. Today while in its second day of being in service we turned on the air conditioner (first hot day in which we needed A/C) and it blew up. Vapors came out around the hood and green fluid poured out on the apron. Don't know if it was something done while being worked on or not. Have to take it back to the Ford dealer. This unit has got to be cursed. $12,000 spent in the last two months on engine, now the A/C is gone.

Wow.....The whole thing sounds weird...like scary weird!

Your screen name is bandaid ,its an ambalance ,meaning you've probably
pick up some DOA's.

I think its definitely ghost!....smilieeatndrink

Wow.....The whole thing sounds weird...like scary weird!

Your screen name is bandaid ,its an ambalance ,meaning you've probably
pick up some DOA's.

I think its definitely ghost!....smilieeatndrink

I like your explaination. Just for the record $1,900+ to repair. They have to pull the front off to get to the A/C compressor.
Talk about a MONEY PIT!!!!

blacksnapon

Staff member
to replace the high pressure fuel pump you most definately have to remove the oil dipstick, the green fluid is probably oil dye in the a/c oil. you have a dealership problem.

Ford Truck Articles