Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gen6 running partner?

This form has several retired parts managers and lots of fellas I think really know their stuff. What I was hoping to put together is their input combined with any of us might be working our way through Gen 6, especially the 78/79 which is my true love. What say you fellas?

I think a good start for me would be to have father Doug leave his truck in my shop for a week while he was on vacation and be willing to pick up what is left of it with no questions! LOL

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
This forum has several [confused] retired parts managers and lots of fellas I think really know their stuff.

What I was hoping to put together is their input combined with any of us might be working our way through Gen 6, especially the 78/79 which is my true love. What say you fellas?
Several? I only know of one...

No disrespect intended, have spent the last three days reading threads before I posted anything. You must've had input in several areas. What do you know about the factory ford canopies? My old one formed two cracks in single-digit weather coming out of elk camp, I am prepping a second one now for my truck for paint.

In addition to my above question, now that I've got a real parts guy, Pops 79 which he just repainted has a standard windshield wiper switch, is making it intermittent as easy as buying the other switch? BTW this was his very first new truck, and I still remember those pre-seatbelt days standing between him and mom bringing it home which is where my love for the 78 and 79 came from, I grew up driving one all through high school

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
No disrespect intended, have spent the last three days reading threads before I posted anything. You must've had input in several areas. What do you know about the factory ford canopies? My old one formed two cracks in single-digit weather coming out of elk camp, I am prepping a second one now for my truck for paint.
I'm a member of four different forums (1 Studebaker & 3 Ford truck) using three different user names, but the same avatar pic (Baig the Basset Hound).

Deluxe (moveable side windows w/a roof vent) & standard pickup box covers (aka toppers, aka camper shells, aka canopies) introduced in 1973 for the 8' Styleside bed.

These have compass emblems in front of and slightly below the side windows.

These came white, but some people had the dealers paint the front of these covers in their trucks primary colors.

Last edited:
That's the ones, I have two of the compass trim pieces if somebody wants them, I do not. I also have the matching boot to go from canopy to cab in the color green that I will not use if somebody needs. Both of the canopies I have are the deluxe that you are describing. Obviously you are the real deal, I don't run into too many folks that know that kind of detail. Nice to meet you!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
In addition to my above question, now that I've got a real parts guy, Pops 79 which he just repainted has a standard windshield wiper switch, is making it intermittent as easy as buying the other switch?
You also need the years specific intermittent governor.
Intermittent wipers require the switch and the governor, the parts are obsolete.

D1OZ-17A553-A .. Intermittent Wiper Switch / Marked: D1OB-17A553-AA (Motorcraft SW-1010) / Obsolete ~ 133 available NOS

1971 Fairlane/Torino / 1973/79 F100/350 / 1978/79 Bronco.

Sources w/the largest quantity:

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has 5 = 800-543-4959.

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has 113 = 800-476-9653.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D3TZ-17C476-A (replaced D1ZZ-17C476-A) .. Intermittent Wiper Governor / Obsolete

1971/73 Mustang/Cougar / 1973/77 F100/350.

No Ford dealer or obsolete parts vendor has any.

There's one on ebay under the D3TZ-17C476-A part number, description lists Mustang/Cougar, but it's the same as 1973/77 F100/350.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D8TZ-17C476-A .. Intermittent Wiper Governor / Obsolete

1978/79 F100/350 & Bronco.

NOS PARTS SOURCE in Olathe KS has 1 = 913-220-5746.

Note: I've read that some people use 1980/91 intermittent parts.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I think a good start for me would be to have father Doug leave his truck in my shop for a week while he was on vacation and be willing to pick up what is left of it with no questions! LOL

:rofl: I'm not easy to find. I'm at the edge of our flat earth. I bought the necessary parts to convert the wipers from 2 speed to intermittent several years ago. The conversion is plug and play IF, as Bill stated, you have both the switch and governor. They are available on e-bay but are getting harder to find.

Copy that, try and do some piece of maintenance on pops truck every year that I know he would never do for himself. However had a tire separate on the left rear bent the quarter panel brackets tore up the splash guards which sucked in the quarter panel. Looks like I'll be making room in the shop to do some body work on a red truck. Who knows I might like it changing from green to red.

Ford Truck Articles