Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Instrument Cluster Back

My next project just got started with an order from Dennis Carpenter for the plastic piece behind instrument cluster. My is pretty much crumbling. I am not sure if I need bulbs but hopefully I will be able to purchase them locally. If anyone has any suggestions or has done a replacement, I would like to hear their experiences. I know one problem already is removing the heater knobs. The headlight knob someone gave me a tip on release from behind dash and the wiper knob slides off easily. I am guessing it will be at least a week before my part arrives. Thanks for any info.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The wiper knob and heater knobs actually have a lock spring, if they slide on and off, they're broken. Otherwise, you'll need a 90* pick to depress the springs. The head light switch does have a push button release on the TOP of the actual head light switch behind the dash, a real pain in the dick to get to.

Then from there...no better time than now to do and LED bulb upgrade...if I remember right, you'll want the 192's.

Thank you. The wiper knob is broken and I have a replacement. The headlight knob I can release from behind dash. I need to remove the knobs of the heater, defrost and fan controls. I am hoping they just pull off with enough force. Thanks again. I will look into the bulbs too.

Forgot to say the truck is a 1977 F-150 Custom with a 3 speed automatic 4.9 liter straight 6 cylinder engine. Only have fuel gauge and temperature gauge. Rest are warning lights.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The same lock springs apply to the heater knobs. Use a 90 deg pick or a small screwdriver to pull the spring toward you and the knobs will slide off. The trick is to figure out which side of the knob the spring lock is facing. If you look behind the knob, you can generally tell.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Use a small mirror to peek back there, you can see the divit where you need to put the pick

Don't just yank it off you'll break it

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Well just looking at things now. There are 2 different options. With my luck, I have ordered the wrong part.

That is true. One cluster with warning lights, and one with gauges. The one with warning lights has a smaller connecter that fits into the back of the cluster.

Got my part yesterday. Have not opened because I am pretty sure I ordered wrong part and wil have to pay for shipping return and still have to order right part and pay for shipping. Lesson learned in not knowing what I needed. I will callthem tomorrow abut return.

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Hopefully they will get you the new part quickly.

Not sure how many different setups there are for the heater knobs. On our 77, the heater controls have their own face plate and there is just a rectangular hole in the instrument cluster bezel so the heater knobs don't have to come off to get the Instrument panel out. Might be worth looking at.

x2 on the LEDs as well. I wish I had done that when I replaced my instrument cluster back.

Just an update. $33.00 total shipping plus part. Had to return part and pay for return shipping plus right part to be shipped. Now waiting on part. ygm

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Yeah, it looks tight but I haven't had any trouble getting my instrument panel off without taking off those knobs.

Just got the correct part yesterday. They were nice enough to ship for free. That was greatly appreciated. Now to get to work If it ever stops raining in these parts.☔

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Got my part yesterday. Have not opened because I am pretty sure I ordered wrong part and wil have to pay for shipping return and still have to order right part and pay for shipping. Lesson learned in not knowing what I needed. I will callthem tomorrow abut return.
1975/79 F100/350, 1975/80 Econoline, 1978/79 Bronco:

The instrument cluster backs were made of a composition material that can TURN TO DUST before your very eyes!

1981: Ford introduced hard plastic cluster backs for Econolines. These were also the "service part replacements" for the POS cluster backs.

There are two different types:

E1PZ-10848-A .. Hard Plastic Cluster Back - Use with Oil/Amp GAUGES / Obsolete

1981/91 Econoline; retrofit: 1975/79 F100/350; 1975/80 Econoline; 1978/79 Bronco.
----------
E1PZ-10848-B
.. Hard Plastic Cluster Back - Use with Oil/Amp WARNING LAMPS / Obsolete

1981/86 Econoline; retrofit: 1975/79 F100/350; 1975/80 Econoline; 1978/79 Bronco.

Carpenter has both, listed under these Ford part numbers.

Last edited:
Thank you Bill and everyone. I have not started on the project. I need to stop working 6 days a week. Although the extra funds are nice. I checked about heater knobs and they will not be a problem because as was said earlier that section is an open area. I just need to remove headlight knob and was given directions on that as well. Looks like it takes about 9 bulbs and they are 194's which I think the side markers are the same bulb.

Ford Truck Articles