Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Straight-up timing set for a 400

These engines came retarded from the factory, and the timing set helps wake it up..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Yes, look at the horsepower ratings between 1970-1971 and 1975?-1979. There is a substantial decrease in horsepower.

My 1979 w/351M was rated at 137 horsepower.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Late to the party Doug...but yes, it is just that simple. Like replacing any other timing set, except you have the super-dee-duper technical task of lining up the notch with a dot on the crank to the corresponding notch/dot on the cam. If you've never swapped a timing set before, the old set usually needs some persuasion to come off...I just use pry bars against the block. Then sliding them on can get a bit frustrating if the gear and sprocket aren't aligned just right...then it won't want to slide on the crank snout and/or bolt up to the cam.

IMO...the only way to go are Cloyes double rollers. A little pricier, but I always end up ditching whatever 'I just threw on' later. I do have a few spare Comp double roller sets that came with cam kits, I'd like to try...but haven't needed to with Cloyes units installed/reused.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks, Ben. Is there enough room for the double roller chain without rubbing on the cover?

Also, did you have to do drop the oil pan?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Getting ready to order a new timing set for a stock '78 400 motor.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the two timing sets listed below.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-1121/overview/make/ford

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-9-3121/overview/make/ford

They both have the three keyways for retarded, 0, and advanced. The 3121 mentions a standard center distance, and the 1121 says nothing. Other than a slight change in description, they look exactly alike to me.

Also, what do I need for a gasket kit to do this job?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I believe the difference is in the raw material used and hardening process, meaning the 'Original' will be the stronger of the two.

And you should only need waterpump and oil pan gaskets (including front and rear seals).

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I would...just to get any crud out that happens to fall in. Chances are you'll have old gasket fall in anyway (I suppose you could drain the pan and weasel a shop vac in though), and when I start prying the timing set away from the block, I don't want to mangle the pan.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thanks for the info, Ben. Ordered a timing set from Summit today. Since I don't have any room in the garage, this project will wait until winter is over, like July.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Timing set will be here Friday. Will I need to do anything to the timing after the kit is installed? Current timing is 10 deg BTDC.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Make sure you're at TDC. You'll have 3 keyways (on the cam gear), so just make sure the dots line up on the gear and sprocket. You'll want the middle dot for straight up timing (others are 4* advanced or retarded). And then you'll want to throw a light on there just to make sure you're between 10-14*.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Ford Truck Articles