Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

oil pressure readings

what psi readings should i expect from my 300-6?

hooking up a mechanical gauge tonight and i don't even know what to expect for numbers. what should it be at start-up? then it builds with rpms/speed, correct?

Not sure about you late model engine guys. My 56 (warmed up) at highway speeds reads around 50-55 PSI. At idle (warmed up) it is a lot less, but I have not noticed just how much less. I think around 25-30 PSI, but not positive.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
gotcha - b/c as the oil warms it gets thinner, right
Affirmative. Oil becomes more viscous as it becomes hotter. This is what the numbers on the oil rating signify (10w30, etc)-- they're viscosity ratings at the lower and higher temperatures.

just fired it up and it looks like it was around 50-55 psi on a warm engine at lide. i revved it to 2k rpm and it got to about 60 or so. it looks like there's still some air in the line. what's the best way to get that out? let it run?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
just fired it up and it looks like it was around 50-55 psi on a warm engine at lide. i revved it to 2k rpm and it got to about 60 or so.
By the way... As long as the air in the line isn't affecting things TOO much-- these readings sound pretty darned good. Cold start + revved to 2k should give a maximum of 60psi and once the engine starts to warm up and the oil will become more viscous and should drop more near the center of that 40-60 range. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape to me :)

ok...sorta optomisitc, but i'll wait for final happiness after it cools down and i drive it to work in the morning - i'll post back then with an update

Ummm, you don't need to bleed the line.. it's fine the way it is.

I was always told that you need to bleed the line for an accurate reading. Tom, do your directions say anything about bleeding the line?

i don't think it mentioned it - here's the link to the other thread about it
http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6423
there's a link there to the manual.

i'll give it a day and see what the readings look like and see if the air works itself out.

i started it cold this morning at it took a few seconds, but climbed gradually as expected to about 55. pretty much stayed there on my way to work, then when i got here and parked, it dropped to about 35 or 40.

still air in the line, but i can't see how it would throw it off a ton.

Ford Truck Articles