Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Another one is coming to roost...

Fellro

Staff member
My girlfriend's parents had an 88 F150 that has been sitting for about 10 years. I asked what they planned to do with it and they just gave it to me. Story goes that it ran when parked, but had "become unreliable". I'm thinking perhaps TFI issues...
So I fiddled with it yesterday, put some penetrating oil down the cylinders since it was dry for sure, and behaving stuck. Hooked up the battery, and spun over. Put the plugs in, it did fire for a bit but eventually quit. Never really hit smoothly. Pumps were running, but unknown if the 10 year old gas was gunking it up or not. I will know more when I get to finally drag it homegas gauge reads way high so pump will have to be pulled anyway.

300 6 cylinder, 5 speed 2wd. Pretty basic truck, no cruise, no a/c, strictly am/fm radio that is nonfunctional. Brakes even still have fluid and are solid. 3 out of 4 tires are still holding air... Body is in pretty good shape, better than any others I have so I am figuring on keeping it decent. The paint isn't all that burned up even...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
it has AC when its 2@55 lol

Fellro

Staff member
Yep! Triangle windows work fine, and I can add a split rear window easy enough.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
87-89 4.9 had an issue with fuel system.
it has similar 3 pump system to the 85-89 v8, but a different pressure, so it ate up the fdm ( fuel delivery modual)

That's the "can" that has 4 lines in, 2 out, and sits by the fuel filter and front high pressure pump

It's purpose is to switch to whatever tank you are running from, and return the fuel to that tank. There is no transfer switch, this is it.

The problem with the unit, any contamination in the fuel would stop the system up in the middle, and keep fuel from coming through, even with the pumps running

Here is one on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F1UZ9...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

here is one is disassembled. By the way, they are not rebuildable, and there is not a kit to do so

Attachments

• 004.JPG
  • 006.JPG
  • 011.JPG

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yep! Triangle windows work fine, and I can add a split rear window easy enough.
I wouldn't
The sliders always leak.
they also, when loaded blow dirt, and everything loose in the bed, right into the cab as soon as you pick up any speed.

I does work out if you have a cap and it has a slider installed.

Fellro

Staff member
Single tank on this one, so no tank switch. Since the front frame crossmember is just about in the dirt, I haven't been under the truck to see the pumps. I saw the filter right under the firewall but didn't quite see the high pressure fuel pump.

Very true on the rear slider.. Haven't generally had leaking trouble, but know all about the crap blowing in. That and the latch always breaks...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Still has low pressure pumping the tank, and high pressure pump in the rail.
I think there is still a reserve can on it, but it's been a while, I forget.
I do know when the low pressure pump goes, it will still run on gravity feed above 1/4 tank. Once it gets to 1/4, it stops running, the rail pump wont "pull"

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fellro

Staff member
That's what I was expecting, just haven't seen it as yet. Somewhat figure the in tank to be toast anyway, the sender bit it. I have another truck that the frame rusted to paper thin I can rob parts from for testing if nothing more.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I got tank, pump, straps from rockauto for less than you would pay for just a pump local. Did both tanks on my 95 for less than $400 shipped to my door in 3 days
I would assume your low pressure pump to be about the same price.
Let me know if you go that route, I'll post a discount.
Keep in mind testing, the pump cycles 2 seconds on key on, and wont come on again until the halls effect in the distributer tells the relay the engine is running

The fusible link for the fuel pump is beside the battery coming off the solenoid. It is paired with another fusanle link. Both dissapeared into the harness

There are 2 grounds for the fuel system. One by the battery, that is injectors, 2nd is on drivers side on core support, behind head light

Check computer ground on driver hood hinge

Fellro

Staff member
I learned about the location for the injector ground once when my other 88 up and wouldn't start after I had messed with the battery once... I use Rock Auto a lot myself.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I have "several" gas 85- 96, so I've forgotten more than I know. Lol.
They can be tricky between the years

There are still some 87_89 here tagged and running, so if you need pictures, or anything, let me know

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Isn't there also a ground strap from body to frame somewhere around the HP fuel pump?

I seem to remember a non-start condition on my '89 because the ground strap had vibrated off the frame.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Should be 6 grounds frame to body
I also add a 10 ga wire from block to bottom wiper motor bolt.

Fellro

Staff member
Finally got to bring it home yesterday. Runs fine on gas poured in the intake, frame pump definitely runs, doubt the tank pump is. I did hear the frame pump prime up good, then it started for a bit until ran out of gas again. I did expect it to be bad anyway, but perhaps it is the whole reason it was parked. Will find out soon, pump on the way from Rock Auto.

Fellro

Staff member
Single tank, so no switching issues. I'm pretty the in tank pump is DOA, no sound whatsoever when it was running on the gas in the intake.

Fellro

Staff member
Fuel pump has it running. Gauges are suspect, never showed it warming up, and charge appears low but it is charging. Next problem, clutch is shot... :rotz:

Fellro

Staff member
So this one is one for the books... Huge mouse nest inside the bell housing, fell into the outside of the pressure plate, preventing it from applying pressue...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Never seen that before.

I assume you have the transmission back, is it a 10" clutch, or an 11"?

I always put an 11" back in, flywheel has both sets of holes, and it fits.

Ford Truck Articles