Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 with poor gas mileage

I got a 1975 Ford F-100 with 1971 Ford 460. It has a edelbrock torker II manifold and a Holley 3310 780 cfm carburetor and a electonic ignition and is converted to unlead fuel. The gas mileage is horrible. I want to change out the holley with something else. I have seen that this Holley can be upgraded by installing a ProForm carburetor main body, the Proform 67101C. Is this the way to go or do you have any better suggestions

how bad is "horrible"?

have you done a general tune-up recently? fluid change, plugs, wires, etc?

welcome to the forum, too!

All the more reason why my rig's a weekend warrior and not a daily driver - especially with gas prices going up again.

how bad is "horrible"?

have you done a general tune-up recently? fluid change, plugs, wires, etc?

welcome to the forum, too!

Thanks, I have the fluid and plugs changed not the wires. I have tuned the ignition. On a long trip I will say 12 mpg but in daily use about 5 mpg and the gas is not cheap in Norway

QUOTE=tomtoc;240436]yea, if you're getting 8-10, be happy

if it's worse, there might be something we can help you with. any more information about the truck? 2wd 4wd, big lift, tires?[/QUOTE]
It's a 2wd, tires are 255/60R-15
Verdal 2009 006.jpg

Last edited:
No towing, tires are 255/60R-15, C6 auto and I think the rear end is 3,73
all that sounds pretty normal.

i used to get about 10/12 in my 97 f250. getting 5 in town, then 12 on the highway is weird. if i drove it pretty hard, it'd drop to 8.

maybe someone else will have some input to help

all that sounds pretty normal.

i used to get about 10/12 in my 97 f250. getting 5 in town, then 12 on the highway is weird. if i drove it pretty hard, it'd drop to 8.

maybe someone else will have some input to help

It is an old holley, if I should change it,do you have any suggestion to a new carb?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Sounds about on par with the one I had.
If I drove it like it had a egg on the gas pedal I could get a little better about 7.
If I mashed the skinny pedal I was getting about 5-6.

Sounds about on par with the one I had.
If I drove it like it had a egg on the gas pedal I could get a little better about 7.
If I mashed the skinny pedal I was getting about 5-6.

LOL I just got plates on it and like to push the pedal to the buttom:) I better put a egg on the gas pedal

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I have to say unless your 460 has been cammed out or had some other performance mods done to it, I think a Torker 2 manifold and a 780cfm carb is to much for a bone stock engine even if its a 460..
for a stock 460 you should just be running a Performer manifold and 750 carb.

Lead feet + big blocks = bad gas mileage

My 400BB, C6 auto, 36" TSLs would get around 12-14 mpg on the highway. City was more like 8 or so... but I dont have a lead foot unless I'm at a red light and some riceburner wants to play "Who has the loudest exhaust" with his coffee can muffler

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
but I dont have a lead foot unless I'm at a red light and some riceburner wants to play "Who has the loudest exhaust" with his coffee can muffler

I can see this playing out in my head.. :rolling laugh:

not to get offtopic, but am I the only person here who want's a diesel just so I can smoke out ricers? :wasntme:

Ford Truck Articles