Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E4OD issues

My 92 has started having issues with hard shifts and engine bogging down at idle when stopped. I’m not very familiar with the E4OD trans and am in no way an expert when it comes to transmissions. I wish I knew more about them. But hopefully someone on the site will be able to shed some light on this problem. I will explain this best I can. Cold start and driving for a few miles till trans is up to operating temp it’s fine shifts smooth and idles in gear at a complete stop no problems. Once up to operating temp it starts up shifting hard and will stall at a stop if you don’t keep throttle applied. When it tries to stall it feels like torque converter will lock and unlock randomly, you can tell by the rpms jumping up and down a little. If you put it in neutral or down into 2nd position goes back to normal operation. No codes I have checked. No overdrive light flashing and button works when turned on. I have tried a solenoid pack/ fluid change and filter. Has gotten worse over the past couple of months to where now it does it consistently. For those who have had E4ODs is the signs of a failing trans? Or is it fixable?
Truck is a 92 f150 5.0 4x4 only shows 97k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Throttle position Sensor would be then first thing I'd check. Inexpensive, and could mimic a lot of those issues. Also wondering if the lockup torque converter isn't unlocking?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
If lock up converter not unlocking, it would shudder when he slows down
Is the OD light flashing?

You need to pull the codes, it will show a code if there is a problem

Throttle position Sensor would be then first thing I'd check. Inexpensive, and could mimic a lot of those issues. Also wondering if the lockup torque converter isn't unlocking?

I have replaced throttle position already. Truck had a issue when I first got it where it wouldn’t idle and would stall. It would idle at 2k sometimes and never come down. Found tps was reading about 4 volts at closed throttle. Not to say it may have gone bad again but the voltage is below 1volt at closed throttle now. I have checked for codes and there is no codes.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Hop under the truck, on the passenger side of the transmission housing, near the exhaust pipe.

You'll see a wiring harness that plugs into the transmission, that controls the solenoid pack. What are the condition of the wires? Often they fray and get exposed to water and heat. You can cut/splice a new connector on if it's looking ragged.

Ryan

Hop under the truck, on the passenger side of the transmission housing, near the exhaust pipe.

You'll see a wiring harness that plugs into the transmission, that controls the solenoid pack. What are the condition of the wires? Often they fray and get exposed to water and heat. You can cut/splice a new connector on if it's looking ragged.

Ryan

I looked at the connector when I put the solenoid pack in last fall. It seemed ok I cleaned it and put dielectric grease on it and plugged it back in. I will check again and make sure nothing is rubbing on exhaust or anything around it. Solenoid pack did not fix the issues it happened again once it warmed up fully.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Next step would be change oil and filter, change in torqur converter too
Put Mercon IV back in, hopefully that cures it

Next step would be change oil and filter, change in torqur converter too
Put Mercon IV back in, hopefully that cures it

I have changed the fluid and filter. Maybe I should have used Mercon IV instead of the factory spec? I used versatrans fluid which is up to the factory specs.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Latest rebuilt E40d i bought from Ford said to use Mercon IV.
I put it in my 90, it solved some issues, but not all. That transmission is pre 95, so not upgraded, so some issues will be left over.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
.........engine bogging down at idle when stopped.....

Sent from my iPhane using Tapatalk

^^^^^ This continues to go undefined, but if the torque converter remains locked when the vehicle is coming to and executes a stop, this will of course cause the engine to die in the same way that a standard shift vehicle would if you don't push in the clutch, and if this is the case then my vote is the $20 VSS (vehicle speed sensor) located on top of the pumpkin on the rear axle. It runs several things, it can fail and affect some of these *things*, yet it won't throw a CEL because for whatever reason the ECM gets a usable signal as may other things that happen to work just fine. Me absolutely hates throwing parts at any problem but this is one of those very few times it may need to be done; think of it as an educated guess after you do some basic diagnostics to rule out obvious things. Been there, done this on a 94 F-150 4X (TC wouldn't release when the vehicle came to a stop) and another F-150 and a Ranger, both earlier 90's, with goofy shifting.

Edit: Need to turn key off, then restart when TC doesn't release.

*This VSS generates data used by the ECM to manage engine behavior and tranny shifting, cruise, RABS and I *think*, 4low engage/disengagement (vehicle must be stopped).

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
92 has 2 VSS, one on the rear, one where the speedometer cable used to be

The funny thing about the stalling issues is that it doesn’t happen immediately when you stop. It will idle ok for about 10-30 seconds then you fell it bogg down and the rpm drop to the point it will stall. Put in neutral or 2nd goes away and idles fine. If you keep a little throttle applied the rpm will lightly surge sometimes and the truck will lunge a little along with the surge which I’m guessing in the TC locking and unlocking.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yeah my 94 has a VSS on the rear differential only, but my memory is that the 92 has one on the transmission (not sure if it has both, or just the transmission one).

The VSS along with the TPS provide crucial data to the computer. Additionally make sure the wires are in good condition feeding those as well. I had aftermarket exhaust near the wire leading to my rear differential and had to remedy that. It rubbed for years without my knowing and eventually wore through the insulation, grounding it out.

The VSS (in my experience) caused bouncing speedometers and the transmission to seemingly "fall out of gear."

Ryan

I had a little time to look into my transmission problems and have not found anything yet. All sensor readings I can see on an scan tool look normal. I triple checked fluid level. So I have made an appointment at the trans shop for a week or so from now. I know the owner really well and he said he will drive it and find out what direction to go in. He said it sounds like some of the valves or plungers are sticking in the valve body. So I will hopefully have an answer soon.
I have been thinking about selling the truck here lately because I just picked up a 06 p71 crown Vic from my brother in law that needs an engine and I have planned on fixing the p71 then start driving it. So I will see if the truck is fixable without pulling the transmission or not. Ether way I think the truck is going to be sold. It was a freebie from my father in law and it’s been a good vehicle for the time I have had it, just took a little TLC to get it where it’s at now. Hate to let a truck go but I can always get another later and I kinda miss having a vehicle with enough room for two or more passengers. I think the p71 will be a fun car.

Ford Truck Articles